Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

New GoPro H5B doesn't work with battery inserted.

I just picked up my first GoPro from Amazon. Its a Hero5 Black. I can't get it to work with the battery in. If the battery is out, I can power it on, connect to my phone, take photos and videos. When the battery is in it usually doesn't respond at all. On the rare occasion it turns on with the battery in it turns off again after ~5 seconds.

If I remove the battery, turn it on, then hold the button to turn it off again, unplug, insert battery, plug back in... in that order, the light on the back will slowly pulse red about 5 times then turns off. Does that mean it is charging or maybe indicate what the problem is?

Any help is appreciated. I have a new battery arriving Monday so I can at least eliminate the battery as the problem at that point. Should I wait, or just initiate the return to Amazon at this point?

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: New GoPro H5B doesn't work with battery inserted.

Anyone have any ideas?

Highlighted
Sightseer

Yeah bro same issue. I went to best buy and swapped it out for a new one and it worked when the guy tested it in the store. Its probably the battery tbh but I got mad at the go pro when it didnt work and I whipped it at the wall so I wanted to get a new one anyway lmaoooo. But yeah anyway got the new one and it works perfectly. If you just replace the battery itll probably be good.. im just that guy
Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @gnerd

As @grandstoke32010 shared, and based on the observation that you shared, it is highly likely that the battery is defective. Good thing that you have a new battery coming in. Please let us know how it goes. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

So I got my new battery and it seems to work just fine.

How can I get GoPro to mail me a new one to replace the non-functional battery that came with mine?

Amazon may not allow me to return just the battery since they were seperate purchases and I dont want to have to mail back the whole thing.

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @gnerd

Thank you for posting back to share the result. Great to know that the camera is now working.  As for the defective battery, you can reach out our Support team so they can look in to options for you. Connect with them via phone or chat through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs.

Best, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

FYI: for anyone else who gets a deective battery new-in-box... GoPro support looked up my serial and after seeing my amazon purchase they shipped me a new battery.

I'd try chat and see if they will do the same for you.

Highlighted
GoPro

Cool! Thank you for sharing, @gnerd!