Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

New Fusion annoyed customer!

Hello,

I just got my Fusion. I created an account and registered the product. Installed theAndroid app to try to connect my Fusion cam and download updates.... Smartphones (tried 2 different) don't see the camera. ??

Trying to upgrade camera to connect one of my smartphones then.  My registered device shows "download update V" on my account. No link... ??

There is a help button with instructions on how to download... Does not work... Tried on 2 different browsers... nothing...

Ok, strat trying to find myself how to update. Finally find your web page... It says update through the app... Mmmm.. nope... Then let's try "manual update".... Guess....

Opens a new page, where I have tor re-insert my serial number and email (seriously? just done it for my device...Anyway...), I do it... Guess what... Yep, nothing... (Error: Could not get the download link)... Oh but wait, there's also a big blue download link button, but hey, yeah! It doesn't work either!!!

Mmmm...Let's try again, and again, and again... Oh great, I have to re-insert my device serial number and my email each time!! Awesome! I must have inserted these like 5 times... For nothing. 

This is a spectacular first contact with an Awesome User Experience guys... How can this be so painfull and frustrating... I mean you're not some unknown 2-men chinese company somewhere... And I've tried some cheap chinese stuff that works way better btw! 

Barely 3 hours into the Gopro universe and already wanting to Return and step away from GoPro. I spent 8 friggin' hundred Euros for this?

So, anybody can tell me which magic sorcery trick inside a chest, inside a dungeon do I have to find in order to get this thing going?

Thank you. Very disappointed. 

Hiker

Re: New Fusion annoyed customer!

Hi,

let me help you get going with your fusion, the beginning is rough, but it is worth it.

Right now, I would not recommend a non-pro-sumer or non-professional to touch the fusion, for the reasons you explained.

DO NOT update the fusion through the APP. It might brick your camera (hard to believe but its true).

-Take your camera and reset it in the menu.

-Turn Off fusion

-Go here, find fusion and click UPDATE MANUALLY at the bottom: https://gopro.com/update/fusion

-Download the update file, it is a zip.

-Unpack the Zip file, copy all files into a new folder called 'Update'

-Take your 2 SD cards, they have to be the SAME SD cards, IDENTICAL

-Copy the 'Update' folder to one of those sd cards.

-Insert BOTH sd cards into the fusion, ONLY copy the 'Update' folder onto SD card 1, to go into the front slot in the fusion

-insert SD card 2, empty, into the rear slot.

-Turn on the Fusion, it will start updating (it shows camera symbol 1/2, then 2/2m restarting a few times.

-This will take about 10 min, give it time (make sure the camera is charged beforehand)

-Eventually, unlike described by GOPRO, the camera will NEVER confirm installation of the firmware, it will enter the LOOP OF DEATH

-This looks like this. Fusion turns on, FUSION LOGO, turns off, Fusion turns on, FUSION LOGO, turns off, Fusion turns on, FUSION LOGO..... it does this forever. After doing this for about 5 min, simply PULL THE BATTERY OUT.

-REMOVE FRONT SD CARD and delete update folder on it on PC, then REINSERT sd card into fusion

-PUT BATTERY BACK and turn on fusion, it should launch as normal and is in fact updated.

-You are almost there

-Use your smartphone to connect to fusion, BEFORE YOU DO THIS, on the fusion, go into settings and look for the setting that changes the WIFI from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz
-Make sure GoPro app is updated on your phone

-Pair Fusion with your smartphone and you should be able to see the live preview, its glitchy, but it works.

-If the camera connects, yet, you dont see the preview then delete the camera again, restart fusion and re-pair until it works.

It took 2 attempts for min to pair, connect and then show the preview.

Follow these steps and your fusion should be up and running.

Cross your fingers that gopro will sort out this firmware mess, its rather embarrassing
Btw the fusion camera is amazing, I dont know how they **bleep**ed up the software that much, its the chernobyl of firmwares.

Sightseer

Hello @quickboost51431, thanks for your quick reply and help. Just scanned through your message. Nevertheless it seems I haven't clearly explained my situation here... I am stuck at the very first steps of your walkthrough:

DO NOT update the fusion through the APP. " > no worries, as I said, I can't connect the camera to the app....

"Go here, find fusion and click UPDATE MANUALLY at the bottom: https://gopro.com/update/fusion" > well, as I said too, tried like 6 times, there is no download anywhere to be found...

So, these do not involve being a pro or not, at least on my side, maybe it does on Gopro's webmasters' side? 

That's it... Stuck there... No can do anything as I can't download any update, connect the app...anything.

Highlighted
Hiker

no worries, glad to help.

Just checked and you are right, the firmware update has been pulled and is no longer available through download.

I am putting 1+1 together here and think the update was pulled for exactly the issues you are experiencing, since my update procedure is not the smooth update experience that GoPro imagined I am sure. They will probably fix it up and put it back live I imagine?
Some official statement would be useful, just to even say yea we are going to fix a few things moving forward, expect more updates etc.

So right now I guess either try using the camera with the out of the box firmware, download gopro fusion studio and see what you can do. I have not used the camera with base firmware, I only updated it like 2 days ago, must have gotten the firmware just before it was pulled.

Wait and check back.

Sightseer

Yes, I guess that must be it... I thank you again for your help... This is quite a mess... Never been into a product / service site where all is so tangled, informations so scarse, and well... I am a bit frustrated... I will try to find some official support (is there any?) in order to find some answers.
You've been very kind :)
Tourist

@agileboost47322wrote:
Yes, I guess that must be it... I thank you again for your help... This is quite a mess... Never been into a product / service site where all is so tangled, informations so scarse, and well... I am a bit frustrated... I will try to find some official support (is there any?) in order to find some answers.
You've been very kind :)

Welcome to the club. I just did the same exact thing you did. Website says “easiest way to update is through the app” but there is no update in the app. And my firmware is old according to the manual download page. It’s pretty **bleep**ing simple GOPRO dudes...before you write your support pages, try the **bleep** yourself! I’m gonna spend 10 more minutes **bleep**ing with this then I’m heading back to Best Buy to get my $700 bucks back. What a pain in the ass...and your post is from Jan. It’s now April, lmfao

Tourist

*edit
Ok. So as I was writing the above reply...my app was open. It had been opened 10 times prior, with nothing. 30 secs after I posted the reply a pop up came up in the app - update available...hmm. I clicked away and the update worked. So here’s my suggestion. If you just got your fusion and it won’t update...just leave the app open for a while and maybe it will eventually pop up that you need the update. Otherwise, manually update the camera. I had the app open and was testing the camera for an hour yesterday, no update popped up. My suggestion to the GOPRO dudes, make a button in the settings - “check for update”. There is a reason that almost every software and/or app on the planet has a way to check for updates. The GOPRO app has no way to manually check for an update - you just have to hope the software communicates with the internet and notices the update is available. I am trying to think of one piece of software or one app other than the GOPRO app where I can’t find out if there is an update manually...nope - can’t think of one. Your website support pages are vague. Your manuals are vague. It’s almost like it’s a top secret process or something - suggestion: make the instructions simple. Before you write them, try it yourself. Write every step and be specific. I don’t know about anyone else, but I don’t appreciate having to waste my time searching YouTube for information that should come with my $700 purchase...like specific instructions how to update the firmware through the app. Simple
GoPro

Hello @megaboost4262

Thank you for sharing. We're always looking to our customers to help shape the direction of our products and services, so we appreciate your feedback as well as your suggestions for improvement. We will definitely pass your comment along to the team in charge. 

Best regards, 
Marius