Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Need Help - GoPro Hero 5 Session External mic adapter randomly recording audio

[ New ]

Hi, I have GoPro Hero 5 Session and when i use the external mic adapter with one of their recommended mics then its randomly recoding sound/audio/voice.

meaning that when i use the camera with the external 3.5mm mic adapter and make for example 5 videos then maybe 1 or 2 of them will be with sound.

What can be the problem? is there a fix for that?

P.s. i use version v02.00 which as i know is the latest version

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Need Help - GoPro Hero 5 Session External mic adapter randomly recording audio

[ New ]
Just for clarification, there is a mode referred to as "Quick Capture" whereby when the camera is off and you hit the (Top) Shutter button it turns the camera on and starts the recording. It has been reported that when using an external unpowered mic, it will not record audio when recording is started in this manner.

The (small back lower) mode/power button needs to be pressed to turn the camera on and then the shutter button pressed to begin recording when using an external mic. If the camera is already on (top menu LCD is displaying information) then you do not need to press the rear mode/power button.

I suspect that some of your recordings are made with the camera initially powered off. You press the shutter button (Quick Capture) and no audio is recorded. In subsequent recordings the camera might already be powered on, so the recording of audio works.

I don't have an external mic or the adapter for the Hero5 so the above is based on what I have read in other post.

Try powering on the camera and then hitting the shutter button and let us know how it works out. If it turns out that this is correct, please mark this post as solved.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

Re: Need Help - GoPro Hero 5 Session External mic adapter randomly recording audio

[ New ]

If you use quick capture, you will not  get sound with the promic 3.5mm adapter.

If you use the  back mode button  tehn shutter you will be good.

Is that what you are finding out?

Hiker

[ New ]

what is the back mode button  tehn shutter?

And second thing i am not using the quik app I am just browsing into the camera using windows and then i copy the files to my computer and then i open them using VLC.

sometimes there is sound and sometimes there is no sound.

If i don't use the pro mic adapter then there is always sound

Adventurer

[ New ]

thanks for that added info.  glad to know its not thepromic  then, right more your player. or something else.

Hiker

[ New ]

I checked it with couple of players and same results.

I think its the camera itself.

Adventurer

[ New ]

the back button is called  the Mode button what I was  refering to?

Anonymous

[ New ]

@amitaie1100

The mode button is on the back at the bottom and the shutter button is the round one on top!

Explorer

[ New ]
Just for clarification, there is a mode referred to as "Quick Capture" whereby when the camera is off and you hit the (Top) Shutter button it turns the camera on and starts the recording. It has been reported that when using an external unpowered mic, it will not record audio when recording is started in this manner.

The (small back lower) mode/power button needs to be pressed to turn the camera on and then the shutter button pressed to begin recording when using an external mic. If the camera is already on (top menu LCD is displaying information) then you do not need to press the rear mode/power button.

I suspect that some of your recordings are made with the camera initially powered off. You press the shutter button (Quick Capture) and no audio is recorded. In subsequent recordings the camera might already be powered on, so the recording of audio works.

I don't have an external mic or the adapter for the Hero5 so the above is based on what I have read in other post.

Try powering on the camera and then hitting the shutter button and let us know how it works out. If it turns out that this is correct, please mark this post as solved.
Adventurer

[ New ]

@amitaie1100   @Anonymous And  Ted  answered what I said   

Hiker

[ New ]

Perfect answer!

It work as you said.

But is it a known issue to GoPro Guys? is it a feature? meaning thats how its supposed to work?
When i talked with the support guys they didn't even mention this solution.

They offered me to send them the camera and they will send me a new one? butmif thats if this issue is with all GoPro Hero 5 Session cameras they there is no need to send it back to them and get a new one because it will happen again, no?

Adventurer

[ New ]

well   you are the one that  is with a trouble camera and the others none or they say they got none, we cxan live iwth them can you/??

Explorer

[ New ]
The first level support isn't very strong right now with GoPro unfortunately. They just moved it to the Philippines and I don't think they are as informed.

I do think the engineers are aware and hopefully we'll get another update. If the Hero6 gets released this year we'll probably see an update to the 5 around the same time as there usually is an update for the previous model released just prior or right after they release a new model.
Explorer

[ New ]
Please mark the answer that worked for you as solved so others with the same question/issue will see it if they search for the same thing.
Adventurer

[ New ]

the camera is  matured and will see a few more to finalize it. Expanding hte office issweet, or sold to third party cause they bit to much off then they can chew. is not good. but at least the yare aware and working on it right?  FUTURE  is al lthey care to offer on firmware   

Anonymous

[ New ]

@amitaie1100

I'd expect a firmware update in the future may address this mic/adapter issue, as it is a well known issue here. 

However, it also makes sense, since you are using an electronic mic adapter...  it needs to be powered up and recognized by the cam before you can start recording with sound!

Hiker

[ New ]
Backpacker I think you nailed it! I don't get any audio when my external mic is plugged in and I press the shutter button. Audio works great when I'm connected to the Capture app on my phone and using voice commands though.

At first I thought it was related to the app connection itself, but it makes sense that it is really related to whether or not the Session is powered up prior to recording. Hope this is addressed in a future firmware update. Having to press the mode button first is not really an option when riding on a motorcycle - that button is too freakin' tiny.
Anonymous

[ New ]

@brewcityrider FYI -- backpacker is a rank here, not a user!

Hiker

[ New ]

Woops!  Thanks man.

Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro CSA team  says in the future, all they care to say,  

To the few that have it, did they ever report it, no.

To the many that own it, do they care about it, No.

Feed back of more then 1 tells gopro to address it, hardly anyone gave feedback or know how.

GoPro has a website and can add into the camera's pkg a note, lost sales. why they keep hush hush,  this is just a place to yap the crap but  yet gets things done  by the posts read  it says all..

I spoke my mind today 

PEACE  not upser or pissed just spoke my mind

Explorer

[ New ]
I hear you Fish, but frankly, I don't think many people comment/complain because I suspect there just aren't many people using an external mic with the H5 Session, or the H5 Black for that matter. I'm sure there are quite a few, but not when compared to how many are used without.

Since GoPro sells the proprietary adaptor, they must have a pretty good idea as to how many and what resources are warranted.
Adventurer

[ New ]

this can go back to day one of gopro and the 3.5mm adapter  if kept htat way or implimented to the USB type C,   now a  money maker option  enough said on hardware, get the software fixed.

Tourist

[ New ]
This is absurd. I now have to remove the camera from the helmet mount to access the little WiFi button on the back before every recording with the $50 mic adapter? After completing a video, the camera automatically turns off after a few seconds to save battery. Two minutes later, when I want to record with Audio again, I need to remove the camera from the mount again (removing my gloves first) to hit the button that is coverered by the low profile gopro Mount?
Hiker

[ New ]

I'm not sure that would even work because even after pressing the little power/menu button on the back, the camera will only stay on a few seconds before shutting off - at least many of us have that issue, which is another thing we are waiting on a fix for.  So, what I do when on my bike is connect the GoPro to the GoPro Capture app on my phone.  What this does is keep the camera powered on and allows you to control the camera using voice commands.  You never have to touch anything to record and the voice commands work 100% of the time!  

Battery power is limited to about 45 minutes this way, which is fine for a normal motovlog.  But, for those day rides where you want to be able to record throughout the day, the mic adapter also has a power port.  I simply plug into a power pack in my pocket and run the cord down the inside of my jacket.

Adventurer

[ New ]

we have to trick the camera.   the camera can be on stand by for up to 12 minutes.  If I remember right.  record with voice command on   press back mode then record, then say stop recording.  so you will need to set up your camera b4 hand, in order to keep it going?

I hear ya about being absord  but its hte way th camera works. not all wants to use a giant external mic/power board.  so they deal with the internal sound.  gopro could design a better camera to  autl turn on external mic.  gopr did htehero 4 bluetooth so wrong on the  hero 4 today on the hero 5 they got it right, and now on the hero 6 they got the camera turn on  working.  so hoping it is a simple firmware  pass along ifso then no onewill have to worry bout how to  start recording on the hero 7 session,

as soon we'll see  gopro start recording ... turn on camera from an off  state

Hiker

[ New ]

Nice trick fishy!  I just tested this on my Hero 5 Session and it worked pretty much as you described, except the camera shut off after 10 minutes instead of 12.  This will come in handy for me when off the bike with my helmet still on and my phone either still on my bike or in my pocket...in other words, disconnected temporarily from the Capture app.  

Adventurer

[ New ]

GoPro got a great t eam that can not simply put down in the manual what the camera can do. when the Hero 6 Sessioncomes out we'll have Wake up voicecommand, or  if it can simply be added to  the hero 5 session..  I bet  hero 6 before hero 5 session gets it.  Just to make us  buy the new one than add to the old one Lol

happy it helped I know not a thing Lol

Anonymous

[ New ]
I thought I was going crazy until I saw this thread! Yeah, happening to me too: no audio on quick capture. Otherwise, everything is working fine. Boy, what are we complaining about? It’s not like wensoent $500 on these cameras, right? 🙄
Anonymous

[ New ]

Adventurer

[ New ]

IMHO 

Only a few are complaining. they complain about hte sound, the promic the cam.  its not perfect nor are we.   happy we cancapture the moments..

Tourist

[ New ]

Only a few are complaining because only a few are using this feature. This is ineptitude at its finest. This "great team" you speak of for GoPro is embarassing.

Adventurer

[ New ]

not each time we use the camera is with the promic or is it?   Yeah this is a Monitory forum they will read. but have they ever come back with resolutions?

Tourist

[ New ]

The solutions other people have found helpful have not worked for me.

If I use the mic adapter with an external mic, the audio does not get recorded (regardless of how the camera is started). If I unplug the external microphone, audio then gets recorded. If I plug it back it in, the audio goes away yet again. 

It's extremely frustrating this is not intuitive after spending as much money to try to have it work.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Agree the Session is harder, the Hero 5 black and Hero 6 black is not.  Sound is quite good if asked but not all the time I want to use the camera alone. so yes  we need a fix not a hero 6 session.

Anonymous

[ New ]
Sound works when back dating the firmware to V1.5
This proves it is a sofware issue! GoPro are useless.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Sick Of these stupid work arounds.

After firmware V1.5, the external mics stopped working properly on the shutter button, thus proving it is a firmware fault that GoPro themselves stuffed up, and that they havent corrected since. 2 YEARS later the issue still hasnt been resolved.

Basically, it comes down to GroPro SUCKING!!

I will never buy a gorpo ever again, and i hope they go bust so they stop ripping people of with products that dont even work as intended!

Sightseer

[ New ]

MYSTERY SOLVED.. THANK YOU!!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

gopro5black here.

The second by the way after a replacement for another big "wi-fi not ready" fault you can happen to have with it and about you can find here in the forum.

So, thought it was the quickcapture thing preventing me to record audio, and my tries at home proved it right.

Then got to a rally race, (you know, you have to connect to the car audio intercom to capture what copilot is saying, I'm I so niche customer?).

switched the camera on, always controlled the camera with the phone app.

And...

No audio all the day. I lost the entire race.

And no, it's not the powered/line/non powered problem as some test did work with normal mic so I never changed that.

RELIABILITY dear company. THIS IS A PRIORITY for someone who want's to SAVE MOMENTS he is not going to repeat just becouse your camera MIGHT work or not who knows!

So, thank you gopro. I'm selling you (and I will loose 3/4 of my money) and never will I have something to do with your company in the future.

I'm sorry I'm no help I know, but I'm going and never will I be here again.

bye.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Update to this from Myself.

After using the above methods I have filmed work on my Vehicle (none repeatable) I have 15 clips and only 1 has audio this is using the button to turn on first then the record button as well as with the app the product and software in the Camera is W**k 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @redbeach50138

Do you remember if the recordings were done via QuikCapture? See information below:

SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT QUICK CAPTURE and HERO7 Black, HERO6 Black/ HERO5 Black/ HERO5 Session when using a Pro 3.5mm Mic Adaptor:

Non-Powered Microphones will not work when starting a video using Quick Capture (with the Pro 3.5mm Mic Adaptor). There are two workarounds:
1. Use a powered microphone if the customer needs to use Quick Capture.
2. If the customer is unable to use a powered microphone, simply power the camera on first and then start a recording. 

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
One short question.
Does using the usb-C adaptor to charge while recording generate other funny no-audio bug regarding this audio adaptor?
I THINK YES
Hiker

[ New ]

No, I often plug the audio adapter in to a charging pack in my pocket while out riding my harley and recording with no audio issues.  You have to either maintain a connection with the GoPro app on your phone, or power the camera on before pressing the quik capture shutter button.  Once your first clip is recorded, you can just use voice commands from there - unless in stand-by for 10 minutes or more because the camera will shut off.

Explorer

[ New ]

@ziozeus wrote on 07/08/18:

I'm no help I know, but I'm going and never will I be here again.

bye.

Spoiler
And yet back again, with no help.
Tourist

[ New ]
Yes. If you plug into a USB charge port live from a vehicle or house electricity, audio will not work. If you charge with an external power pack it works just fine.
Tourist

[ New ]
@Daniel, I was angry. One faulty camera returned and then this bug everyone still live with and no clear knowledge from gopro at the time (and today also it seems). I think you can well understand.

Also, probably Lonhaulpaul is right, I didn't take the risk to better investigate but I think what he is saying played a role on me deciding to stop using gopro for cameracar after another lost rally race.
This shows that gopro public notes on quickcapture bug are not complete.
This will eventually help Redbeatch50138 and others.
Also I hope gopro will eventually better investigate and add precise notes on this other problem meanwhile.

Now, I hope this helps...

Regards
Alessandro
Hiker

[ New ]

@longhaulpaul Well that makes no sense haha!  Not saying your wrong, because I never ran the camera plugged in to power at home, but if it works plugged into a power pack, it should work plugged in to a home or car outlet.  That expensive audio adapter will only allow the camera to accept a cerain level of charge at a time.  Now I have to test this...

Tourist

[ New ]
I have seen the message "USB connected" (don't remember the exact message... The one you get when you connect to a pc for file download...) when connecting to the charger via the usb-c in the audio adapter. This not always happen and this is why could not better investigate as I said, but it is my beliving that this also can cause a no-audio configuration lastin till you switch off. Charger, home and car chargers have different voltage, so... Everything could be possible and what longhaulpaul is saying could be exact, or at least shows that some correlation with the bug is there if you use the usb-c.
Adventurer

[ New ]

Well 2015 this issue was around and goes not just to the  hero 5 Session. the hero 5 black as well, and it  continued to  follow the GP-1 camera's as well?

I tested out where I get static to no sound  and if I want to do something important I know it's best to  not get side tracked on a gopro.  that said good luck in this future fix for the promic.

Hiker

[ New ]

OK guys, I finally got around to testing this.  I was correct, it doesn't matter whether you are plugged into an external power pack or a wall outlet, the audio still works when using an external mic running through the GoPro audio adapter.  Now obviously I am only testing MY Hero 5 Session, so I guess it is possible that your results may differ.  I am also running the most current Gopro firmware edition as of this post date.  I attempted to attach the 2 video files of the test, one of me recording the entire test on my cell, and the other of the GoPro footage, but apparently this site only allows image file attachments.  If someone can tell me if there is a way to post vids here, i will gladly post the two videos.

Adventurer

[ New ]

Use youtube or  dropbox post hte URL link

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah, I can do that if anyone is interested.