Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Re: Need Help - GoPro Hero 5 Session External mic adapter randomly recording audio

No, I often plug the audio adapter in to a charging pack in my pocket while out riding my harley and recording with no audio issues.  You have to either maintain a connection with the GoPro app on your phone, or power the camera on before pressing the quik capture shutter button.  Once your first clip is recorded, you can just use voice commands from there - unless in stand-by for 10 minutes or more because the camera will shut off.

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Need Help - GoPro Hero 5 Session External mic adapter randomly recording audio

@ziozeus wrote on 07/08/18:

I'm no help I know, but I'm going and never will I be here again.

bye.

Spoiler
And yet back again, with no help.
Highlighted
Tourist

Yes. If you plug into a USB charge port live from a vehicle or house electricity, audio will not work. If you charge with an external power pack it works just fine.
Highlighted
Tourist

@Daniel, I was angry. One faulty camera returned and then this bug everyone still live with and no clear knowledge from gopro at the time (and today also it seems). I think you can well understand.

Also, probably Lonhaulpaul is right, I didn't take the risk to better investigate but I think what he is saying played a role on me deciding to stop using gopro for cameracar after another lost rally race.
This shows that gopro public notes on quickcapture bug are not complete.
This will eventually help Redbeatch50138 and others.
Also I hope gopro will eventually better investigate and add precise notes on this other problem meanwhile.

Now, I hope this helps...

Regards
Alessandro
Highlighted
Hiker

@longhaulpaul Well that makes no sense haha!  Not saying your wrong, because I never ran the camera plugged in to power at home, but if it works plugged into a power pack, it should work plugged in to a home or car outlet.  That expensive audio adapter will only allow the camera to accept a cerain level of charge at a time.  Now I have to test this...

Highlighted
Tourist

I have seen the message "USB connected" (don't remember the exact message... The one you get when you connect to a pc for file download...) when connecting to the charger via the usb-c in the audio adapter. This not always happen and this is why could not better investigate as I said, but it is my beliving that this also can cause a no-audio configuration lastin till you switch off. Charger, home and car chargers have different voltage, so... Everything could be possible and what longhaulpaul is saying could be exact, or at least shows that some correlation with the bug is there if you use the usb-c.
Highlighted
Adventurer

Well 2015 this issue was around and goes not just to the  hero 5 Session. the hero 5 black as well, and it  continued to  follow the GP-1 camera's as well?

I tested out where I get static to no sound  and if I want to do something important I know it's best to  not get side tracked on a gopro.  that said good luck in this future fix for the promic.

Highlighted
Hiker

OK guys, I finally got around to testing this.  I was correct, it doesn't matter whether you are plugged into an external power pack or a wall outlet, the audio still works when using an external mic running through the GoPro audio adapter.  Now obviously I am only testing MY Hero 5 Session, so I guess it is possible that your results may differ.  I am also running the most current Gopro firmware edition as of this post date.  I attempted to attach the 2 video files of the test, one of me recording the entire test on my cell, and the other of the GoPro footage, but apparently this site only allows image file attachments.  If someone can tell me if there is a way to post vids here, i will gladly post the two videos.