Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

NO GPS DATA / Single recording, multiple files

[ New ]

Hello,

Brand new GoPro Hero 8 user here experiencing 2 issues of concern:

1. Receiving the NO GPS DATA message despite having enabled the GPS option in the Regional menu. Confirmed white GPS icon lit prior to recording. Would love to make use of the "guages" and other great GPS features but so far have not been able to get them to work at all. 

2. Single recording split into multiple files. I have on multiple occasions made a 20 minute or longer video recording only to discover when importing via GoPro Quik it has split my recording into 2, sometimes 3 files. Why? Help!...and thanks in advance.

Hero 8

SanDisk Extreme 32GB microSD

Cinematic 4k/30

SuperView

Hypersmooth: on

Clips: off

Zoom: 1.0x

PROTUNE

Standard

Shutter: auto

EV Comp: 0

WB: auto

ISO min 100

ISO max 1600

Sharpness: high

Color: GoPro

RAW Audio off

Wind auto

Nomad

Re: NO GPS DATA / Single recording, multiple files

[ New ]

1. Your GPS data is probably fine, the problem is in Quik, which is not compatible with the GPS data format in the Hero8. You can check if your GPS data is good here: https://community.gopro.com/t5/GoPro-Telemetry-GPS-overlays/GoPro-Telemetry-Resources-software/gpm-p... And then extract it to create your overlays in other programs (Virb Edit, Dashware, After Effects), or you can modify your video files to make them compatible with Quik with the (paid) GPS Quick Fix app ( https://youtu.be/nY4LfVFViT0 ).

2. The file structure requires each file to be under 4GB, so when a video reaches that size, it creates a new "chapter". There's nothing you can do about that at the moment

GoPro GPS not working? Enable the gauges overlay with the GPS Quick Fix tool: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/gopro-gps-not-working-hero8-quikTelemetry E...
Nomad

[ New ]
Sorry, the first link was meant to be this one, the Telemetry Extractor: https://goprotelemetryextractor.com/free
Tourist

[ New ]
Great info! Thanks for taking the time out to share. I have to say this is rather peculiar. I would imagine this a feature GoPro would want their users to take advantage of. I'm shocked they haven't implemented it as a successfully working function into their latest, "greatest" product. I see the latest version of Quik is over a year old. I'm guessing/hoping they'll update it somewhat soon. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Tourist

[ New ]

i Have same issue didi you able to fix it ?

Tourist

[ New ]

No, not willing to pay additional money to make it work. Cool feature, but not worth paying additional money in my opinion. I'll till they update their software. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @sweetflare70864. As was mentioned above, the Quik for desktop app does not detect GPS information from a HERO8 Black camera footage. You may use the GPS Performance Stickers in the GoPro App. Here is how to view them on the app. 

Tourist

[ New ]

The sticker is not working in the app as well

i don't know how slow and careless GoPro  company is wow this is why dji is take it over 

I will change to DJI as well What a rip off they show what you can do and than it doesn't work its like a scam 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @whitephoto. The GoPro App not being able to display GPS performance stickers could be due to inconsistent signal captured through the recording. This affects the precision of the GPS data captured making it not reliable enough to use for stickers. Our team is aware of this and will continue to work in order to display the GPS stickers more often even if the signal may be a bit low.