Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Re: My new Hero 6 giving me nothing but grief

I don’t think GoPro intended for the camera to run at high resolution for hours on end in high temperatures. Most video clips are relatively short. Not two, three or four hours long. I’m just trying to see at what point the camera will not work anymore. I understand that at 1080 your H3 could handle that but will the H6? If not there is a real problem.

Hiker

It should charge right, so Something is not right there.

As for it shutting down, heat will be a problem when running continuous high frame rates. However, i would deff triy another card just to see if you can extend recording time. 

https://gopro.com/help/articles/solutions_troubleshooting/HERO4-Black-Camera-Temperature-and-Perform...

Maybe you've got to construct a coolbox with ice, just an idea.....

Hiker

Here is a video showing the problem I'm having with my Hero 6 and also the problem with its Smart Remote

https://youtu.be/hjgkWtsLjFE

Both camera & remote appear to be faulty. Each with their own set of problems.
GoPro Community Manager

I would recommend reaching out to our team at https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs. We can dig into all of these issues with you. I would suggest trying another SD card if you have one just to eliminate that as a potential cause. It's really unusual to have the same issues present themselves in three different cameras, so the SD card will be an issue the team will want to eliminate, especially since you're getting a bandage icon, which indicates an issue with the file being recorded.

Hiker

Hi Jeff, yesterday I tried what you suggested. I ran the H6 with my 64gb card from my H3. Worked a treat. I had it plugged into the mains in my backyard attached to my USB charger. It ran till the card was full (2 hours 11 mins). Beauty I thought that's the prob. I then replaced that with the 128gb SD card and it ran till full (4 hours 20 mins). Yesterday was a little cooler than norm at 25 degress.

So maybe temp is the thing.

Todays temp is 27. I've set it up identicle to the test yesterday with the 64gb card and in the first hour it's failed twice. Both times the the bandaid symbol (not the thermometer). 1 and 40 mins, next at 8 mins.

So it looks to me to be temperature related.

All tests have been done on 2.7k 120fps.

Your thoughts?

Hiker

"So it looks to me to be temperature related". Hmmm, I wonder where I heard this before?

Explorer

You really can't equate a card working in the Hero3 as being suitable for the Hero6. The H6 and H3 are very different. The H6 requires a much faster write speed card. The H6 is also enclosed in a waterproof case with a much more powerful processor that generates a lot of heat. As an action camera, it's safe to assume that there is an expectation of some continuous airflow around the camera.
Hiker

@danielr15 wrote:
You really can't equate a card working in the Hero3 as being suitable for the Hero6. The H6 and H3 are very different. The H6 requires a much faster write speed card. The H6 is also enclosed in a waterproof case with a much more powerful processor that generates a lot of heat. As an action camera, it's safe to assume that there is an expectation of some continuous airflow around the camera.

Dan, I ran both cards in the Hero 6 (I think you misread that). As for airflow, I live on the water, so just about always there is a sea breeze. Today it's blowing at 15 - 20 knots.

I wouldn't have thought 27 to be excessive heat.