10-05-2018 07:59 AM
Just received my Hero 7 Black yesterday and it’s been one issue after another. This is my 4th GoPro camera and so far it’s the biggest GoPro disappointment yet. Even more so than my Karma Grip and that’s saying a lot.. I'm a big fan of the brand, but lately theres been a bit of trouble in paradise.
So far, in less than 24 hours;
- I’ve had three complete lock-ups of the device which required the battery to be pulled to get in fictional again. Not cool, especially if it happens on my next dive trip where taking the battery out 100 feet below isn’t exactly an option.
- The camera refuses to disconnect from my Phone (Samsung Galaxy Note 9, I’ll try seeing if it plays nicer with my old iPhone 7+ and iPad this evening when I have time). It’s always connected via Wifi unless I manually turn off wifi. So while it’s connected (always) I don’t have any internet capabilities on the phone unless I turn off wifi or “forget” the device from my wifi settings. Very frustrating. Under notifications it constantly says “Searching for new GoPro footage… new Photos + Videos will be copied to QuickStories” which may be the cause for the next issue.
- The battery life completely sucks. I have a total of 6 batteries still from my Hero 6 Black and despite which one I try this thing sucks them dry in no time. I suspect that’s because it’s constantly connected to my phone, even when the camera is turned off. Reading the forums here a bit, seems I’m not the only one experiencing this..
- Transferring of new photos and videos works until it doesn’t, very inconsistent. There is obviously a connection between the phone and camera, I can connect to the camera and control it via my phone (most of the time) but when I try to transfer photos using the swipe down from the main screen it says it’s not able to connect to the camera. Yet, I can transfer the manually via the camera screen.
- I’ve reinstalled both the GoPro app and the Quick app no less than 5 times, I’ve also completed factory resets on the camera itself 3 times so far in an effort to fix the above issue to no avail. I’m using the card that was supplied free with the camera, which I’ve formatted multiple times and have tried with a 64gb U3 card as well. Updated the firmware as well..
So did I get a bad one? Is the product a dud, does the software just suck, is this an Android issue or are these expected behaviors? I’d send it back for a refund, but how exactly is that going to work with my trade-in I sent in? The new stabilization is pretty incredible, but with the above issues it’s hardly worth the hassle.
10-05-2018 09:28 AM
So playing around with it a bit more, I switched the wifi bands over to 2.4ghz and it seems to be behaving a bit better. Still get some oddities, like the main screen of the app telling me to "Charge your gopro to get quikstories" despite my GoPro battery being at 100% but at least it's transfering photos and videos a bit more consitant now.
Curious to see if I'm able to utilize 5ghz sucessfully on my iPhone/iPad when I get home as it's obviuosly perferable for the faster transfer rate, especially with the way this camera burns through batteries.
I suspect the “Searching for new GoPro footage… new Photos + Videos will be copied to QuickStories” may actually be user error on my part, in the way that I have my phone's notifications and app badges setup. I was so fustrated in having to reinstall the app again that I may have dumb thumbed something there.
Will contenue to play around with it and investigate further before packing it all up and sending it back.