Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

My HERO 4 Never Worked since I bought it on release

I bought the HERO 4 Black 1 week after it came out. tried to use it but as soon as it starts recording it freezes (nothing works long press on the off button to shut it down). I tried multiple SD cards even the recommended one and it didn't work. I went to the authorized retailer and they happily replaced it. 2 days later I travel and tried to shoot a video and the same thing happens.

since I bought it in 2014 I think till this I was never been able to use it and had to use my old hero 3 when I REALLY needed a camera.

is there a way to fix the issue, or even a tool to diagnose it. I am scared to invest in a new GoPro and have the same thing happen.

Nomad

Re: My HERO 4 Never Worked since I bought it on release

Unfortunately you should have returned the camera when you first noticed the issue.  Your warrenty on the camera is out of date (since the camera is now over 5 years old at this point).  You can try contacting GoPro support directly to see if they can help with your camera or even offer you a discount on a new camera:

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

Adventurer

@daherz2844 wrote:

I bought the HERO 4 Black 1 week after it came out. tried to use it but as soon as it starts recording it freezes (nothing works long press on the off button to shut it down). I tried multiple SD cards even the recommended one and it didn't work. I went to the authorized retailer and they happily replaced it. 2 days later I travel and tried to shoot a video and the same thing happens.

since I bought it in 2014 I think till this I was never been able to use it and had to use my old hero 3 when I REALLY needed a camera.

is there a way to fix the issue, or even a tool to diagnose it. I am scared to invest in a new GoPro and have the same thing happen.

Back in 2014 you had issues with Freezing a new camera was given with the same issue? all this was back in 2014?

My suggestion is if you hven't already done a full format, and let me ask you, do you know  how to do a full format  ?  what  computer windows?    and  what sdxc card

Highlighted
Tourist

I remember doing a full format. I remember it didn't work and gave up on it. since then the HERO4 has been collecting dust on my shelf.