Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

My HERO 4 Never Worked since I bought it on release

[ New ]

I bought the HERO 4 Black 1 week after it came out. tried to use it but as soon as it starts recording it freezes (nothing works long press on the off button to shut it down). I tried multiple SD cards even the recommended one and it didn't work. I went to the authorized retailer and they happily replaced it. 2 days later I travel and tried to shoot a video and the same thing happens.

since I bought it in 2014 I think till this I was never been able to use it and had to use my old hero 3 when I REALLY needed a camera.

is there a way to fix the issue, or even a tool to diagnose it. I am scared to invest in a new GoPro and have the same thing happen.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: My HERO 4 Never Worked since I bought it on release

[ New ]

Unfortunately you should have returned the camera when you first noticed the issue.  Your warrenty on the camera is out of date (since the camera is now over 5 years old at this point).  You can try contacting GoPro support directly to see if they can help with your camera or even offer you a discount on a new camera:

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Backpacker

[ New ]

Unfortunately you should have returned the camera when you first noticed the issue.  Your warrenty on the camera is out of date (since the camera is now over 5 years old at this point).  You can try contacting GoPro support directly to see if they can help with your camera or even offer you a discount on a new camera:

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs 

Adventurer

[ New ]

@daherz2844 wrote:

I bought the HERO 4 Black 1 week after it came out. tried to use it but as soon as it starts recording it freezes (nothing works long press on the off button to shut it down). I tried multiple SD cards even the recommended one and it didn't work. I went to the authorized retailer and they happily replaced it. 2 days later I travel and tried to shoot a video and the same thing happens.

since I bought it in 2014 I think till this I was never been able to use it and had to use my old hero 3 when I REALLY needed a camera.

is there a way to fix the issue, or even a tool to diagnose it. I am scared to invest in a new GoPro and have the same thing happen.

Back in 2014 you had issues with Freezing a new camera was given with the same issue? all this was back in 2014?

My suggestion is if you hven't already done a full format, and let me ask you, do you know  how to do a full format  ?  what  computer windows?    and  what sdxc card

Tourist

[ New ]

I remember doing a full format. I remember it didn't work and gave up on it. since then the HERO4 has been collecting dust on my shelf.