Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

My GoPro Hero 8 is being held hostage at a 'service center'? (MediaMarkt Belgium)

[ New ]

Hello,

I know I am probably screwed over, since neither GoPro or the reseller is willing th help me but here we go:

I have bought a GoPro Hero 8 Black which is still within it's warranty period.

Purchased at MediaMarket (online) in Belgium.

During the last usage the screen went black. No response, also not after a reset.
The camera works and pairs just fine, just the screen seems dead.

Logical step seemed to claim for warranty at the reseller.

MediaMarkt requires to hand the device in at a shop location, so I did.

After two weeks I get a reply from their service center: water damage.

I asked for proof of this damage since the device has always been used correctly ... no reply.

They are asking 55 Eur just to get the device back (this includes shipping costs, which seems strange since I handed the device in personally. They also don't even offer a repair so my options are:

• Pay 55 Eur just to get my broked GoPro back
  • Don't pay and lose my GoPro (which is in Warranty)

I contacted GoPro support did not receive a solution since they require me to physically have the device in my hands which isn't possible without paying MediaMarkt (55Eur). I seems strange I would have to pay 55Eur just to be able to be helped (without any guarantee to get the device working fully again.

Also, if it is known that GoPro's aren't repaired but replaced, why offer a repair service (from the reseller, not GoPro, to be clear).

I understand this is a bit of a special scenario but I feel ripped off ... :(

Any advice or another way to get a hold of any GoPro support other then the chat (which is useless to be honest).

I have the serial number, purchase receipt and the document they sent me (asking me to pay).

I prefer not to share these publicly since it contains serial numbers and personal data.

Kind regards,

Benny Vermeulen

GoPro

Re: My GoPro Hero 8 is being held hostage at a 'service center'? (MediaMarkt Belgium)

[ New ]

Hi @activeexpe2844

Sorry to hear about the situation with your camera.

We try to help as much as we can here in the Support Hub.

Given that the camera has been handed to the store, you would need to coordinate with them on how to get the camera back.

Once the unit is with you, you may follow up with Support to continue with the next steps.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

Re: My GoPro Hero 8 is being held hostage at a 'service center'? (MediaMarkt Belgium)

[ New ]

Paying to get my own device back (in the same or worse state than it was) is absurd.
I understand GoPro has no say in this but still ...

Adventurer

[ New ]

During the last usage the screen went black. No response, also not after a reset.
The camera works and pairs just fine, just the screen seems dead.

that is your issue not water damage, did you ever dunk your camera?

Tourist

[ New ]

The camera has been used in water over time yes.

It's an action camera after all...

Tourist

[ New ]

Update:

They have now sent me pictures indicating water damage at the front display. Note that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the front display. Only the back display stopped working!

These damages weren't visible upon the first inspection in the store (they took pictures). The only visual defects marked were 'fingerprints'.

My conclusion is they just poured some liquid on the GoPro to get out of a replacement or a repair.

I have lost hope of getting a working GoPro back so I just wanted to use this as a little warning for Belgian customers:

DO NOT BUY AT MEDIA MARKT!

I was happy with my GoPro, it always served me good :(

I guess I'll have to look at some alternatives now as my communication with both GoPro (no help, and poorly constructed sentences) and Media Markt have been very very disappointing. (mostly Media Markt's fault bus still ...  show your clients some love)

Cheers,

Benny

gopro1.jpg
Nomad

[ New ]

You should have taken photos of that camera before bringing it in, then you'd have proof.