Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Must I tilt the camera sideways to do vertical mode (portrait), or is there a setting I can use?

[ New ]

Is there a way to set my Gopro Hero 7 Black into portrait mode to do vertical video without having to turn the camera sideways? It's a hassle since my Gopro tripod only lets the camera sit horizontal.

Adventurer

Re: Must I tilt the camera sideways to do vertical mode (portrait), or is there a setting I can use?

[ New ]

Buy a swival adapter.

Sightseer

Re: Must I tilt the camera sideways to do vertical mode (portrait), or is there a setting I can use?

[ New ]

I asked if there's a setting to switch to portrait mode without having to tilt the camera, but since you suggested buying additional gear, I'm assuming that answer is no.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @thepuncher,

Eventually, you have to tilt the camera first in order to trigger the Portrait mode. Then the orientation is locked when you press the Shutter button.

If you need to record in Portrait mode while keeping the camera still by using a tripod, what I can suggest is that you can get the Tripod Mount (if you don't have one yet) so you can attach your camera to any standard tripod, and the 3-Way Pivot Arm (available in Grab Bag) for vertical mounting.

Depending on the activity, here are some other accessories that you can check: Swivel MountHandlebar / Seatpost / Pole Mount, and Pro Handlebar / Seatpost / Pole Mount.

Hopefully this helps!

Ann

Adventurer

[ New ]

@thepuncher wrote:

your answer since your tripod does not  correctly  do what you want;'

GOPR6346[1].JPG

Highlighted
Sightseer

[ New ]

Thanks for your response. However, I tried starting the video recording while tilted sideways, but when I turned it back, it reverted to landscape. I have landscape lock set to off. It doesn't seem to want to lock in portrait mode. Sorry but I'm a newb so please advise, thanks.

Adventurer

[ New ]

If you  turn on the camera. and  Portrait the camera first you will notice the icons change position, then hit record. it will be locked then. not in landscapre and record.

GoPro

[ New ]

@thepuncher, there's currently not a way to lock the Portrait mode in the camera. You can only lock the orientation for Landscape mode (locks your camera into landscape orientation and keeps you from accidentally starting a video in portrait orientation). 

As previously mentioned, the orientation is locked when you press the Shutter button. Thus, you will have to tilt your camera first then hit the Shutter button to keep the Portrait mode WHILE recording. Note that if you tilt the camera to landscape orientation after you start recording in Portrait mode, this will record and play back the video sideways.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Yeah it's not working. I push record while it's tilted, but when I turn it back level, it flips to landscape. There must be something wrong with my camera. Before this, it's been giving me a lot of errors about the memory card (bought brand new and swapped with another too) and sometimes won't turn off until I take out the battery. Such a shame because I bought it just about a month ago.

GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry to hear about the trouble, @thepuncher. We want to help out in the best possible way. Can you please post a video showing the issue with your camera's orientation?