05-25-2020 03:06 PM
I recently purchased 2 cameras - Hero 8 Black and Max. The cameras are great (although there are some improvements one could suggest). I ham struggling, however with the media once captured. The following are some of the issues I am facing so any suggestions to fix would be helpful. I am still within the first month and the free trial of GoPro Plus. as with others, if I cant solve these issues, it renders the cameras useless so I would look to return and cancel the Plus subscription...please help!:
- .360 files don’t import via GoPro Quik App
- .360 files don’t fully upload from camera - upload error 415
- Files uploaded do not download properly via Quik - 4Gb uploaded file downloads as 1.75Gb file and then cannot be opened by GoPro player
- GoPro player won’t open any files downloaded via Quik (on 3 different Macs)
- Neither of my cameras seem to record GPS data despite being in an area where GPS signals are strong and My phone / satnav and iPad all get a signal
- 360 footage uploaded from the camera to my ipad randomly stabilises or fails to - even in footage taken in the same capture
Please tell me how I can:
- Upload successfully to GoPro Plus?
- Download from GoPro plus to my Mac?
- How I open files in GoPro player successfully?
- How do I get GPS to work?
- How do I get stabilisation to work consistently
If I cant get answers to these I don't feel it useful to continue with GoPro Plus or the cameras - One benefit of GoPro Plus is the availability of support 24/7 - I have tried 5 times now to contact support out of hours and I always get the response: 'Sorry, all agents are helping other customers right now. Please try again later.
05-26-2020 02:56 AM
Hello, @quickoasis08. Please see answers to your questions below:
- .360 files don’t import via GoPro Quik App - Quik for desktop does not support 360 media. You will have to use either the GoPro MAX Exporter (Windows) or the GoPro Player (Mac)
- .360 files don’t fully upload from camera - upload error 415 - Is there any specific error message associated with this error code? See if unplugging the camera, powering it off, and trying the upload again will help. Make sure as well that the Wi-Fi connection is always active.
- Files uploaded do not download properly via Quik - 4Gb uploaded file downloads as 1.75Gb file and then cannot be opened by GoPro player. Were the 4 GB files uploaded directly from the camera? Do these media play back correctly and completely when accessed through plus.gopro.com? There is a chance that this could be a chaptered file - the connected chapter file may have not downloaded at the same time.
- GoPro player won’t open any files downloaded via Quik (on 3 different Macs) - Try downloading the PLUS media directly to your computer (out of Quik) from plus.gopro.com.
- Neither of my cameras seem to record GPS data despite being in an area where GPS signals are strong and My phone / satnav and iPad all get a signal - The inability to get the GPS data or gauges displayed could be due to Quik not supporting them. See if you will be able to display GPS stickers through the GoPro App. Here is how to do it.
- 360 footage uploaded from the camera to my ipad randomly stabilises or fails to - even in footage taken in the same capture - Which version of the GoPro app are you using? See if your iPad meets the requirements for 360 support in the Gopro App.
Please tell me how I can:
- Upload successfully to GoPro Plus? There are different methods to choose from. You may explore each of these methods to see which one will be more efficient on your end.
- Download from GoPro plus to my Mac? Log in to your PLUS account through plus.gopro.com. You will be able to download your media from there.
- How I open files in GoPro player successfully? When you open GoPro Player, a Finder window will appear so you can locate your .360 video file. You can also open your own Finder window and double-click your file to automatically open GoPro Player. See this for more details.
- How do I get GPS to work? Always make sure that the camera shows a white GPS icon before starting any recording. Then see above for steps on how to display GPS information. There are also helpful tips on this thread that you may refer to.
- How do I get stabilisation to work consistently It is always best to make sure that your cameras are updated to the latest firmware. A manual update is recommended. A factory reset after the update will help, too. If you observe this issue to persist, let our Support team know so they can assist you further.
05-27-2020 03:21 AM
Thanks for the response Mariustana. I have been doing some research and spoke to support so along with your answers, I can piece together some of the jigsaw. It does, however, raise a number of quesiotns:
I now know the following;
- As you mention, Quik desktop doesnt support 360 files
- 360 files from the Max, if chaptered by the camera, lose their stabilisation if offloaded by any other means than directly from the camera to GoPro Plus (only the first file in the sequence retains this capability)
- It appears that the 415 code is consistent and when the camera fails with that message, it wont load anymore into Plus until the file is deleted from the camera (given it is a gopro generated message, I would have expected some documentation / knowledge on its meaning!
- Chaptered files uploaded from the camera are joined together in the process of direct upload from the camera and so perform better than any other upload mechanism
- Downloading directly from the web does help but is less convenient - not for iPad though (more later)
- My kit is all the latest versions running the latest OS (macbooks, iPads etc)
- Stickers / GPS data for Hero 8 and Max do not work on current desktop apps - they only work on iPad
- It is not possible to download large files from GoPro plus directly to iPad - the iPad sits there saying 'calculating' - the last time I tried this iI left it for 24 hours without success (I have a 200Mb/s broadband service so no issues there) - I have tried this on more than one ipad so it isnt the equipment
- There is no way (that I have found) of getting media downloaded to mac onto the iPad to edit it there - I can get the file onto the ipad but cannot import it into Quik
- Contrary to advice from GoPro support - the GPS signal icon does not appear on the record screen at all on either camera. It appears in the settings screen. both cameras do, in fact, capture the GPS data but due to the shortcomings of the desktop apps, they can only be used in Quk for iPad
On the face of it, it would appear that there are workarounds for most of my problems but the following are now my issues:
Editing Hero files and adding stickers
As mentioned above, the only way to offload files over (around) 8 minutes is to use the camera to upload to GoPro Plus (this merges them) and then to subsequently download. The only way to add stickers to those files is on iPad but iPad cant download them. I can download them onto my mac but then have no way of getting them into the Quik application on my iPad. Thus I cannot add stickers to gopro footage that is over 8 minutes.
Handling 360 files
360 files cannot be imported via the desktop to Plus. The iPad app doesnt re-assembler chaptered files and so the only way to store them is via direct upload (which is slow but it does at least combine chaptered files thus enabling the stabilisation of all the footage). Downloading of these files for processing cannot be done in any app, the only way to do it therefore is via the web interface. They can then be edited in Gopro Player (but not on ipad as there is no way to transfer into the Quik app on iPad from mac.
It seems that there are a number of issues that GoPro havent addressed in releasing the lastest versions of the cameras:
- Desktop apps aren't compatible with the new cameras (Quik cant import 360 files and nor can Player - Player can edit the files but they need offloading from the camera through another means)
- Chaptered files can only be joined together by allowing the camera to directly upload to GP Plus
- Chaptered files cannot be used with stickers / Guages as this cannot be done on the desktop and iPad cant download files over 8 minutes long from GP Plus
- The 415 error seems to be an unknown to GoPro even though it is the GoPro device that generates it - files that throw up this error have to be discarded or manually transferred to desktop
I have the following questions, therefore:
- When will the (Mac) desktop Apps (Quik and Player) be made compatible with Hero 8 and Max?
- Player doesnt support GPS data from those cameras and quick cannot import 360 files
- When will combiinig chaptered footage either be combined when importing into desktop or ipad apps or metadata necessary for maintaining stabilisation in all but the first chaptered file be enabled?
- What is the 415 error and how can it be addressed?
- Why is the iPad App incapable of downloading all but the smallest of files from GoPro Plus and when will this be fixed?
- Why did gopro roll out cameras when their application landscape wasnt fully supporting of the output from those cameras? What woiuld be sensible is that any of the apps can import from any camera, each app could then have the ability to upload any of those files to GoPro Plus - Player doesnt even have an import capability!