Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Multiple Problems GoPro Hero7 Black

I had a GoPro Hero5 Black for a few years. Worked great. The only problem I ever encountered was an issue with looping. It didn't want to loop at the 5min interval. Other than that, never an issue.

A few months back I did the trade-in program and upgarded to a Hero7 Black, and I am very disappointed. Here is a rundown of the issues I've been facing...

-The camera often freezes when the Mode/On/Off button or QuickCapture button is pressed. The only solution is to stop what I'm doing, take the camera out of the case, remove the battery, and put it back in. This can happen when I start a video OR when I stop a video. Now I've lost whatever I was recording, and I have to go through this battery pull process.

-The camera often displays a pop up screen that says "REPAIRING YOUR FILE". No reason. Nothing changed. Just going along finally recording, and this shows up. After a few minutes it always says "FILE REPAIRED", but sometimes the video is there afterwards...sometimes it's not.

-Press the Quick Capture button, it shows that it starts recording, red dot and counter is displayed on the screen. Screen falls asleep if you record for a few minutes. You press the Quick Capture button again...and it never was recording...it starts recording all over again. Whatever I was trying to record is done, gone, over with, and there is no video saved.

-I turn the camera off, set it down, it beeps and red lights are out, but the LED screen stays backlit. It will do that until the battery goes dead. Only solution is to pull the battery to turn it off.

-AutoUpload...sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Tossup.

-Press quick record, and it may start recording, it may not. It may freeze and give you the issues I outlined above. You never know. Works about half of the time.

-Battery drains quickly, sometimes I'll get less than an hour before it goes dead.

What is my application?

I have the camera mounted to my street motorcycle in the GoPro holder mounted to my handlebars. Heat is not an issue, it doesn't get hot and there is always airflow. Never crashed, never had an impact, nothing.

What have I done to try and resolve this?

-I have updated the camera multiple times. I make sure it is always on the most recent update.

-I have done a master reset multiple times.

-I have tried multipe SD cards, all brand new, never used in anything else, all from the list of approved and recommended SD cards (usually SanDisc brands).

-I have tried different batteries (I have three of them).

-I have contacted customer support via chat, they told me to update the camera (again). Sigh. Fine. I did a master reset, updated the camera AGAIN, wiped and reformatted the SD card(s) AGAIN, and tried this with different cards and different batteries AGAIN.

I am lost. I should not have to go through this much work to use this camera. If anyone has any ideas I'm happy to listen, but I am about ready for a refund.

Sightseer

Re: Multiple Problems GoPro Hero7 Black

I have similar problems. Turn camera on, check mode and other settings and start recording. Camera may show some error (gone quickly) and nothing has been recorded. Camera may also seem to be recording (blinking LED), but this may end with an error, or with no message at all. Other situation is seems to be recording until you are ready, but while trying to stop this, camera goes in to freeze for long time turning extremely hot. I have tried also both official remote and smarthphone app; these loose connection (recognized by mode symbol changing to wifi symbol. As a result of this one in three videos is not on card or just a few seconds long. Besides, I'm not pushing camera, just time warp 30X. Time warp 15X is more unreliable, 10X always failed.
I tried:

Reset

Format in device

Different card (both on approved list)

Different battery

External power

Update

Update over SD

I know temperature matters, but most of the time I was able to keep camera cool, that is from outside.

Hiker

@lov3007 wrote:

I have similar problems. . . . 

Reset

Format in device

Different card (both on approved list)

Different battery

External power

Update

Update over SD

I know temperature matters, but most of the time I was able to keep camera cool, that is from outside.

So, did you ever get this unit working?  If so, what did you find worked?

GoPro

Hello @travelfire lov3007

It will be best to contact/follow up on your case through out Support Team.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Let them know of the troubleshooting steps taken.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

I've done that. More than once. They seem to be focused only on the micro SD card, and will not get past that. The cards are original SanDisk, not fake or pirated, and I've got more than one. But instead of addressing the issues with the camera, they keep asking for proof of purchase of the cards. Way to pass blame and not address actual issues with the camera.

New issue yesterday...my entire video recorded upside down, despite my camera being right side up in the holder the entire time, and never rotated.

I think it's time to get away from GoPro. This is just ridiculous.

GoPro

Hi @travelfire

The notification on the camera means that a file may have been corrupted during prior filming or access of the SD card.  While the icon is showing on the screen, press ANY BUTTON on the camera, and the camera will repair the file. While the camera is attempting to recover the file, the icon will blink repeatedly.  Once completed, the camera’s screen will revert to the normal file counter display.

As the error relates to the SD card, it is important to check the SD cards used.

In most cases replacing the card and running a manual update resolves the issue.

We understand you have performed the troubleshooting steps a number of times.

If you have further questions regarding your case, it will be best to follow up with our Support Team.

Thanks!

Ej