Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Moving from 3+ to 6 Black...Is 6 really safe in salt water?

Just a quick question....I love filiming with my 3+ black on the water (above and below).   I have read about people damaging their 5's in salt water.

Do many of you still prefer to use housings on your 5's and 6's while in salt water?

I always prescribe to better safe than sorry.  I am not talking about (SCUBA) diving with camera (I know you need it there)...I am talking about general beach splashing around and snorkeling usage.  The idea of no housing scares me! I am just wanting to find out what most of you all do. (thank you)

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Moving from 3+ to 6 Black...Is 6 really safe in salt water?

I use mine quite a bit for surfing (both Hero5 and Hero6). I've never had an issue with waterproofing. The advantage to not using a housing is you get better sound and you don't get the fogging issue that can happen occasionally without using the inserts.

The disadvantage to not using a housing is mostly just in maintenance. After using the camera in salt water you want to rinse it in clean water as soon as possible. After, it's best to soak the camera for at least 20 minutes and then rinse again. If you don't, you begin to get residue build up.

Along with the cleaning, the other disadvantage is just that your camera is more vulnerable to damage. If it's a particularly big surf day or there is a lot of sand churned in the water, I generally use the Super Suit just to keep the glass on the LCD and lens protector from getting pitted.

Having the Super Suit has been beneficial to me and I try to remember to bring it with me and use it as much as possible. If I leave it behind, not having it doesn't prevent me from taking my camera out and capturing my session, but I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

I use mine quite a bit for surfing (both Hero5 and Hero6). I've never had an issue with waterproofing. The advantage to not using a housing is you get better sound and you don't get the fogging issue that can happen occasionally without using the inserts.

The disadvantage to not using a housing is mostly just in maintenance. After using the camera in salt water you want to rinse it in clean water as soon as possible. After, it's best to soak the camera for at least 20 minutes and then rinse again. If you don't, you begin to get residue build up.

Along with the cleaning, the other disadvantage is just that your camera is more vulnerable to damage. If it's a particularly big surf day or there is a lot of sand churned in the water, I generally use the Super Suit just to keep the glass on the LCD and lens protector from getting pitted.

Having the Super Suit has been beneficial to me and I try to remember to bring it with me and use it as much as possible. If I leave it behind, not having it doesn't prevent me from taking my camera out and capturing my session, but I'd rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you for your input.  I have reseached how to remove the lens and it doesn't seem to be a big deal to do that. I'll certainly invest in a SuperSuit

Thanks!

Highlighted
Explorer

Yeah, taking off and putting on the protective lens is simple. The first couple times it can be a bit stiff, but it gets easier.