Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Memory storage options for long time laps video

I just got a Gopro Hero 8 as a gift and my knowledge is limited. 

my problem is that my SD Card can store up to 4 hours of timelaps video but i have a 2 days-long project to record. 

any idea what my alternatives are? 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Memory storage options for long time laps video

Hello @mirnak630. You may consider using an SD card with a larger capacity. Check this article to see our list of the most up-to-date GoPro recommended microSD cards. We also recommend only purchasing name brand SD cards through official resellers.

In addition, the camera's maximum battery capacity will vary based on settings, environmental conditions, and other factors. You may check this article that lists down the estimated runtime (in minutes) of the GoPro cameras: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Camera-Battery-Life/ta-p/394294 

That being said, you'll need to change the camera's battery once it runs out.

The camera will work normally when powered from an external power source 5V 1A (5V 2A recommended for HERO8 Black, HERO7 Black, Silver and White, HERO6 Black, Fusion, HERO5 Black, and HERO5 Session) via USB-C cable. This is perfect for capturing long videos and time-lapse events. 

In addition to this, I suggest removing the battery if you will be using the camera for very long-term shooting (e.g. Timelapse) to prevent the camera from overheating – at some point, preventing potential damage to the battery as well. Other users have expressed similar suggestion when using external power source for continuous recording.  

On a side note, without the battery installed, the camera will eventually turn off the moment that the external power stops.  

Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof when charging. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Adventurer

settings are key. whatever the camera is telling you when you set up that will be what you get.  wh ythey put a remaining counter on it (Wink)

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @mirnak630. You may consider using an SD card with a larger capacity. Check this article to see our list of the most up-to-date GoPro recommended microSD cards. We also recommend only purchasing name brand SD cards through official resellers.

In addition, the camera's maximum battery capacity will vary based on settings, environmental conditions, and other factors. You may check this article that lists down the estimated runtime (in minutes) of the GoPro cameras: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/GoPro-Camera-Battery-Life/ta-p/394294 

That being said, you'll need to change the camera's battery once it runs out.

The camera will work normally when powered from an external power source 5V 1A (5V 2A recommended for HERO8 Black, HERO7 Black, Silver and White, HERO6 Black, Fusion, HERO5 Black, and HERO5 Session) via USB-C cable. This is perfect for capturing long videos and time-lapse events. 

In addition to this, I suggest removing the battery if you will be using the camera for very long-term shooting (e.g. Timelapse) to prevent the camera from overheating – at some point, preventing potential damage to the battery as well. Other users have expressed similar suggestion when using external power source for continuous recording.  

On a side note, without the battery installed, the camera will eventually turn off the moment that the external power stops.  

Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof when charging. 

Highlighted
Tourist

Thank you so much! the information provided was supper helpful!!
Highlighted
GoPro

You got it, @mirnak630. Feel free to post back if anything else comes up. Stay stoked, and have fun capturing moments using your GoPro!