Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

MemCard + GoPro8 + Highest quality question

Dear all,
Like all of us out there, I'm looking for a card which can handle what you throw at it.

I'm already buying myself a:
SanDisk Extreme 256gb USH-1 Class10 A2 card.

I now have my eye on:
Samsung EVO 512gb UHS-1 Class10. However it is only A1.

I intend to record at 4k (probably with hypersmooth on).

Basically, I'm unsure if this A1 card will be fast enough, or whether A2 would be the way to go with this demanding situation

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions, thanks!
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: MemCard + GoPro8 + Highest quality question

I suggest you check this chart:

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/SD-Cards-that-Work-with-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394308

512GB cards are not listed as supported by GoPro camera's.  In the past when people have tried larger capacity cards in their camera's they either had read/write errors, or the camera would only use the supported size of the SD card (in the Hero 8, this means it would write to 256GB and then stop).

The A1 and A2 are simply minimum specifications to receive that checkmark.  Since GoPro recommend cards that are Class 10, which really means that it writes data at a minimum of 10MB per second, then again, your A1 and A2 aren't going to matter.

I would simply choose a card from the above mentioned list if you want to find a card that gives you the best performance for your camera.  

Highlighted
Hiker

Okay I think that helps me make up my mind.
I'm gonna just stick with the 256 SanDisk Extreme.
Thanks.
Highlighted
Nomad

I use a Samsung 512GB SD UHS-1 U3 V30. This can write 80mbit checked, so it is fast enough for 4K60FPS with high bit rate. The GoPro recognizes the SD and its capacity (approx. 20 hours at 4k60)! There are no read / write problems. I can't say yet whether the camera actually stops recording at 256gb - that will be shown ...

Highlighted
Hiker

Hi there Oliver,
Thanks for your info, this is encouraging!
I'm just an average person trying to get value for money like most people out there. So I appreciate your help.

I guess the ultimate stress test would be to see if it can write 4k60 with hypersmooth on. As I think that pushes the camera a bit harder?

Would you by any chance be able to link the card you bought and drop the link here so I can better be sure which exact model it is?

Many thanks.