Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Media Mod - High Frequency Noise Issue

[Shooting condition-When Media Mod is installed]

Gopro 8 Firmware: 1.6
Memory Card: Sandisk 128GB, microSDXC Class10 Extreme UHS-I U3 V30 A2
Mic: Stereo Set (without external microphone)

Noise is not recorded when front or rear mic mode setting.
However, this happens when recording in stereo mode.

Add # 1 - Problem in Stereo Mode Left and Right Sound Recording
In addition, the stereo mode does not accurately distinguish between left and right sounds.
The same sound is recorded as with the front or rear microphone.
Occasionally, sound is recorded with the sound skewed in one direction.
This result, which is not recorded properly, is considered the worst problem.
I think this problem is a hardware problem that cannot be solved with firmware.

Currently I'm using Media Mod only for external microphone recording.
There are also frequent errors in operation, usually do not mount.
This is very unpleasant.

Add # 2 - Power Boot Delay and Power Does Not Turn On When Media Mod Is Installed
Sometimes(Occasionally), but not always, power does not work properly.
In addition, booting is often delayed when powering up after initial installation.
The same applies to operating the power supply while in use.

Personally, I think it's a serious hardware problem, not just firmware.
I wonder how to solve these problems.

Highlighted
GoPro

@jazzcatt, @rustyautoholicgarage, @wowfactor, @irishmanpdx, we try to help out as best as we can. Please share additional information with our Support Team. You can reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Highlighted
Sightseer

I'm having the same issue. Occurs with Stereo mode, when mounted to the gopro shortie travel tripod. Hopefully GoPro can release an update. Almost unusable footage!

Highlighted
Tourist

I have this issue too when the front shotgun mic is selected – I had to use the EQ in my editing to cut down the bulk of the noise. It was a horrible penetrating sound...

Highlighted
Tourist

Been on support with GoPro who advised a manual update, downloading latest software, copying it on to SD card on the computer and updating itn the device.

Unfortunately, that's not solved the problem. Ran new tests using the front mic, the rear mic and an external mic and the front mic is still giving a high frequency noise around 4-8 kHz.

There doesn't seem to be the same problem with the rear or external mic...

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello, @bessacarr. If you have already interacted with Support, it would be best to continue working with them. Let them know the outcome of the troubleshooting steps that they requested you to do This way, they will be able to walk you through the next steps. You may use the same case number when you connect with them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs . 

Highlighted
Tourist

Hey @mariustanya, I'm continuing to troubleshoot this issue with GoPro Support, but just keeping this thread updated as information is provided so that others are able to find the information and help they're looking for...

Just some further progress. GoPro Support asked me to try another video sample using the Media Mod with 'Wireless Connections' turned off... Just to confirm turning off the Wireless Connections on the camera DID remove the high pitch noise from the recording.

Continuing to work with GoPro Support. Not sure if this problem will be resolved with future software updates or if it's a hardware problem, but in the meantime I'm keeping the Wireless Connections off to avoid the introduction of the high frequency noise.

Hopefully that'll help some of you out, or at least keep you updated.

Highlighted
Tourist

Just to continue this thread.  Just recieved new 8 and Media Mod yesterday.  Upon first use of Mod I could hear the humming in background.  I'm contacting support to troubleshoot.