Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Media Mod HDMI doesn't work with field monitors - no signal

[ New ]

Hello,

my Hero 8 has the latest software. I have a brand new Media Mod (I already changed it, it's a replacement) and it seems that the HDMI doesn't work with external camera monitors at all. 

I've tried the Lilliput A7s and the TARION X5, both are 4k compatible and are also made for progressive scan.

I've tried several HDMI cables, one 10,2 Gbit/s HDMI 2.0 cable and also some older ones which work fine with my Sony A7iii and the both of the monitors.

I just tried it with a 10 year old LED-TV and it actually worked for the first time.

What could be the reason, that the HDMI does only work with TVs but not with my filed monitors? 

The only reason I can possibly think of is, that its a GoPro policy issue. Maybe somehow the software can tell if its a tv or something elsen and since they want to sell the Display Mod, they block other external protable monitors?!

Any other ideas and is there any possibility to resolve this?

This is super weird and annoying, because I need a much larger external monitor than the Display Mod and I have never experienced anything similar with other cameras.

Pleas help!

Cheers

Hiker

Re: Media Mod HDMI doesn't work with field monitors - no signal

[ New ]

Actually I've been waiting for this since months, only because of the possibility to attach an external monitor.

I would have never bought the GoPro withouth this feature. It's super frustrating...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @

Sorry for any trouble caused. Given that the connection works with your TV, this confirms that the camera, the Media Mod, and the cable are all fine.

If you have access to a computer monitor, you may also test it there.

If you haven't yet, please go over the steps on No Signal when Outputting with HDMI

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

IMG_20200327_222713.jpgIMG_20200327_223300.jpg

Hello,

thanks for getting back to me. Besides my perfectly fine field monitors, that work with several other cameras in combination with every single hdmi cable I have, I also just have tried two different regular computer monitors, one from HP and one from IIyama. Both work perfectly fine also, besides with the GoPro. As you can see on the screenshots I have attached. And yes, I have selected the right source an used the cable that worked on the TV.

Any other suggestions?

It is definitely an issue of your product. As I mentioned earlier those monitors work with my A7iii, my A7i, another action camera and also with computers as a source.

The only thing that doesn't work reliably is the GoPro Hero 8 Black with the Media Mod.

Actuall it works on 1 out of 5 devices I have tested.

What could be the reason for that?

One additional info: the display on the back of the gopro blinks from time to time when I try to connect it with another monitor. It seems it's about to turn on and than it turns off again, after less than a second.

Cheers

GoPro

[ New ]

@loyaloasis72862, if the issue persists after going through the troubleshooting steps in the suggested article, we'd like to gather a few more details to help further isolate the problem. What's the brand and model of the field monitor used?

Hiker

[ New ]

Hey,

I've went through all the steps and its still just working partially. You can find the brand and the model of the filed monitors in my original post.

I made a test session again: both field monitors and two pc monitors, with various cables. Only one pc monitor worked, the others didn't work at all. I made a video for you about that. Please watch it so you can see for yourself.

https://youtu.be/KYpLnJfUEKo

Looking forward to your reply!

Cheers

Hiker

[ New ]

Hey @aenriquez,

can you please confirm that some one is taking care of this or at least try to gather further information why just some monitors work and others don't?

If we can find out the technical reason, I could at least try to buy another field monitor that works.

Same for everyone else that will have the same issue. Since I tried two units, various cables and various monitors it is almost a hundred percent sure, that its a general issue (not a personal one) and will occure pretty regularly.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Lucas

GoPro

[ New ]

@loyaloasis72862, apologies for the delayed response and thanks for providing us the details. I've looked into the attached video showing the issue with the Media Mod and camera. Sorry if you're experiencing this problem. This isn't the kind of experience we wanted you to have. Please try manually reinstalling the camera's firmware as it can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229 

If the issue persists after going through the process, kindly contact our Support Team so they can look further into the details and assist you in the next steps. You can reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives. When you get a hold of them, please let them know about all the troubleshooting steps already taken.

Your time and patience are very much appreciated.