Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Max does keeps turning back on

[ New ]

Everytime I turn off the max, either with the Smart Remote or with the power button it just turns right back on. Then drains the battery

Explorer

Re: Max does keeps turning back on

[ New ]
MAX is not designed to work with the Smart Remote. Most likely the remote is causing the issue.
Tourist

[ New ]

And yet there's an option in the menu system to pair the Smart Remote, and the camera HAS been working with the Smart Remote for some weeks. 

I think the culprit is more likely I had "Wake Up on Voice" with the control by voice function :-)

Explorer

[ New ]
Could be. Although the option is there, Max is still not designed to be used with the Smart Remote at this time. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it can cause errors.
Hiker

[ New ]

It may not be voice control or the remote. I'm on my second Max, and both randomly turn on. Voice control is off and I'll hear it turn on in my office upstairs while I'm on the main floor. Also turns on when I'm out filming. Sometimes turns on and starts recording, which REALLY drains the battery. Only solution I've found is to pull the battery when not in use...

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @snowybeach71243,

Can you please check if the Wi-Fi is turned off before shutting down the camera?

Turn off the Wi-Fi manually then check if it will turn on again automatically. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

Wow @snowybeach71243  - ok.

I turned off the Voice Control, and that appears to work at present. But I'll check back in.

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @jayr3438 

The challenge with that for me, is that I switch the device off with the Smart Remote to save battery whilst motorcycling, and/or boating. Then turn it back on again to record later. Sometimes much later.

The whole reason I got the Max was because of the Smart Remote and my ability to control multiple cameras with a single remote. You just can't use a Smartphone when riding a motorbike (gloves etc)

So, I need Wifi to remain on, whilst I need the camera to switch off, as per design...

Cheers

@rog42 

Hiker

[ New ]

I've had mine do that too.  Wifi may have been on, but voice control has always been off.  I use it in a noisy environment so I just don't use the voice option.  I had it on my end table after doing some editing and such, powered off, and some time later (30 minutes or so) I hear it beep like it's powering off.   I look over, nothing on the screen so I think to myself 'did I leave it on?'....   Never touched it, and a little while later I hear it beep again.  That's odd, hmmm, I wonder why it did that.....   So I monitored and over a course of a couple of hours while we were sitting on the couch watching tv it beeped 4 or 5 times.   I've only noticed it do that on it's own on two separate occaisions.  There is still a lot of quirks with this thing.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @rog42,

There's a new update.

Please let us know if that update fixed the issue.

-Jay