Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Sightseer

Max Lens Mod Installation Issue - Solved but not without much angst!

[ New ]

I have the HERO9 Black Camera Media Mod and just purchased and received HERO9 Black Max Lens Mod.  I took the camera out of the Camera Media Mod and removed the lens that came with the camera.  I proceeded to install the Max Lens Mod and could only turn it about 3/4 of the way to it's seated position.  I had my son who is much stronger than I am try and he couldn't get it to go any further.  I tried a number of times after that with no success.

I researched this issue on the GoPro support site and I saw that I wasn't the only person having this issue.  I finally gave up and went to bed planning to call GoPro the next day so that I could return the lens.  Needless to say, I was very disappointed!

The next day I went on the GoPro site and found that I had to call GoPro and get a RMD number.  There was no other way to do this except call.  I was kind of suprised having easily returned defective items on Amazon.  But, I always find the good in everything.  So given that there was no easy way to return the lens I decided to give it another try.

This time I did not removed the Camera Media Mod thinking it might give me a better grip.  Still no luck.  But I was persistent and I did the following:  Instead of removing the lens after it wouldn't turn all the way, I simply turned it slightly back-n-forth several times and noticed that each time it moved every so slightly further toward the seating (final) position.  And it did after about 20 tries.

I am very happy now.  This lens is amazing!  However, my opinion of the way this product is being distributed and the effort to make this lens seat properly on the camera should be embarrasing to GoPro!   Either it wasn't designed properly or not tested on enough cameras.  The lens has a different seating type from the original lens.  I'm wondering why they changed that?  It could be so that the lens seats very firmly on the camera to prevent water from leaking in behind the lens.  Regardless, no accessory should have been this difficult to install. 

I'm hoping GoPro sees this review and provides some kind of help for others buying this lens.  It may be necessary to give further instructions if in fact this lens was purposely designed to be this difficult to install.

GoPro

Re: Max Lens Mod Installation Issue - Solved but not without much angst!

[ New ]

Hi @johnnyphotos

Thank you for the feedback. We'll have this shared with the team.

When installing the Max Lens Mod, make sure to align the grooves and twist with some force.
Should you encounter the same, you may check the video guide on HERO9 Black - Max Lens Mod

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

I had pretty much the same experience. Not wanting to use too much force to take the standard lens off it took quite a while to apply sufficient force to take it off. Moving back and forth eventually loosened it enough to come off.

Fitting the HERO9 Black Max Lens Mod was a struggle. It was very tight and needed what seemed excessive force for it to be fully rotated into position.

Afterwards I find that when putting the originall lens back on it's now somewhat loose. Although it doesn;t have rotational movement, it does now has a vertical movement – holding the len at top and bottom and moving, the top/bottom move out.

This makes me a little nervous that it's not going to be watertight. The Max Lens Mod does not have this movement.

Tourist

[ New ]

hallo aragon1006! der video-link ist nicht mehr vorhanden :-(

bitte nochmals einstellen. danke!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @christianw818

We'll have this shared with the team.

Please refer to the English link for now. 

https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/HERO9-Black-Max-Lens-Mod/ta-p/711239

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]
die linse lässt sich schwer demontieren. mit einem messschieber hatte ich einen aussendurchmesser von 32mm ausgemessen. erst wollte ich den passenden maulschlüssel nehmen, aber mit dem messschieber als montagehilfe ging das dann recht gut. so habe ich das problem gelöst. die max lens kommt erst morgen mit der post.
liebe grüße, christian🤟
Sightseer

[ New ]

Ive just received my max lense mod and it does exactly that.. So disapoiting...it's such BS.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @ultimatom

Sorry for any trouble caused.

Were you able to check the video installation guide here?

If it's still the same, please reach out to Support to follow-up on your case.

https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs

Thanks!

Ej