Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Max ISO only till 800 in night mode? (Photo)

[ New ]

I've just noticed on my GoPro HERO8 that in photo --> night mode, the ISO can only be set to a max of 800. While in photo --> standard mode the ISO can be set to a max of 3200.

Why is this high ISO not available in night mode? Now I can imagine the photo's turn out to have way too much noise with an ISO of 3200, but why have this possibility of putting it as high as 3200 anyway then? Because the only situation where one would use such high ISO would be in a very dark scene such as night, but in this particular mode it's not available...Am I missing out on something?

What would be a situation to shoot with an ISO of 3200 and again, why would this be unavailable at night mode (which I think would be one of the few situations in which to use that, despite the photo probably turning up noisey)?

GoPro

Re: Max ISO only till 800 in night mode? (Photo)

[ New ]

Hi @db7hero8

It uses low ISO since the shutter speed is adjusted or being left open for long period of time. 

If you're familiar with long exposure they are using the same concept. 

Unlike other mode it uses higher shutter speed. 

You can also try ISO 100 with a very slow shutter speed and you will still get better image quality than a picture taken with high ISO and fast shutter. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

Alright thanx! So in what situation would a ISO as high as 3200 be useful?

GoPro

[ New ]

I personally don't use ISO higher than 800 @db7hero8

But just in case you just want to explore your camera you can use that on extreme low light or recording video at night where there is no enough light. 

But the personally I think the footage is unusable since it's very grainy. 

For personal viewing or if just want to record/document something - Yes, you can use that. 

But if you want a good content try to balance the settings.

There's a lot of YouTube videos talking about the basic and advanced camera settings / setup.

Try to check tutorials about shutter speed, ISO, Exposure or even white balance. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]

Alright thanx!