Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Max Hero Mode Help!!! Rotating for Instagram Stories

[ New ]

Hi all!

I am in need of some help with my new GoPro Max. Does anyone know if there is a way, while in hero mode, to rotate the recording aspect ratio from 16:9 to 9:16 without rotating the camera itself? Or in other words, film vertical (portrait) while the camera is mounted horizontal (landscape).

I achieved this on my Hero 7 by purchasing a vertical mounting case that mounts the camera in portrait position. But with the built in mounts on the MAX, this does not work. I know that I could shoot the MAX in 360 mode and reframe to 9:16, but that is not what I am after for this situation.

My goal is to mount the MAX under my helmet visor and film in portrait 9:16 hero more. Attached is a photo of my Hero 7 setup for reference. Any suggestions for camera setup or aftermarket mounts are welcome.

Cheers! 

Screen Shot 2020-02-14 at 8.55.44 PM.png

Accepted Solutions
Explorer

Re: Max Hero Mode Help!!! Rotating for Instagram Stories

[ New ]
Start by turning the camera on. In the video settings you need horizon lock turned on. Go back to the main view and swipe down. Turn the camera sideways (portrait) and then press the lock icon to lock it into this perspective. Now when you turn the camera back to the way you have it mounted it will still be recording in portrait.

1:55 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNwKrq7LvHY

View solution in original post

All Replies
Explorer

[ New ]
Start by turning the camera on. In the video settings you need horizon lock turned on. Go back to the main view and swipe down. Turn the camera sideways (portrait) and then press the lock icon to lock it into this perspective. Now when you turn the camera back to the way you have it mounted it will still be recording in portrait.

1:55 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNwKrq7LvHY
Tourist

[ New ]
Great, just what I was looking for. Thanks for the quick reply!