Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Max 1080p Poor 1080p Video Quality

[ New ]

In Hero mode at 1080p/60fps the quality of video is significantly worse than that of either my LG G5 phone or Canon Legria HF G25 video camera. I have the latest software update. The Max is set on 1080, linear or wide makes no difference, hypersmooth on, horizon lev on, high bitrate, shutter auto, white balance auto, iso 100-800, sharpness high.
I use it as an action cam on my motorbike as an upgrade to a Drift Ghost S and X. This is my first Gopro and I have to say I'm disappointed. Both Drift cams give me sharper images too. The image on the Max lacks sharpness.

GoPro

Re: Max 1080p Poor 1080p Video Quality

[ New ]

Hi @back2thebike

So we can check on this further, would you be able to share a sample file?

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Ej

Thanks for your prompt response.

The file comprises 3 x 10 sec clips of the Max and my LG G5 for comparison. Both were filmed at 1080p and you will be able to see the LG phone is significantly sharper than the GoPro. I've tried rendering on different FPS and playing with the bitrate (PowerDirector 18) but it makes no difference to the sharpness.

best regards

Neil

A short clip to demo the difference in quality between my GoPro Max and LG G5 camera mobile phone video.Quality is distinctly less sharp on the GoPro.
GoPro

[ New ]

Thanks for sharing @back2thebike

The video appears to be fine.

You may want to try using ProTune.

Advanced Protune Controls Explained

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi Ej

I am aware of Protune. 

The setting on my Max is:

Bitrate: High

Shutter: Auto

White Balance: Auto

ISO: 100-800

Sharpness: High

Color: Auto

You haven't explained though why the image from my phone's 1080p is subsstantially sharper/clearer than the Max, even with the Max sharpness set to its highest level. For me this is a disappointment, and for a £500 action camera unsatisfactory. My Drift Ghost X and S models also have sharper image than the Max.

Could this be a function of the fact that the Max 1080p image is 'cropped' from the 190 degree wide angle lens?