Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Manufacturing defect?

[ New ]

I just purchased a Hero 7 Black today and as I was figuring out how it all works I noticed an odd section of the screen on the back. It seems almost to be a different polarization than the rest of the screen. I am unable to clean it off so I know it isn't just dirty. I can't feel any difference and everything seems to work just fine. While operating the camera I was not able to notice any color difference between the odd area and the normal areas of the screen. I managed to get a picture of it with my phone and have uploaded that, the area in question appears as the lighter appearing area of the screen surrounding the flash point. The area in question appears to be significantly more affected by fingerprints in that it shows them off much more significantly than the screen around that area, almost like the screen around it is resistant to fingerprints and this area is not. 

gopro.JPG

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Manufacturing defect?

[ New ]

Looks like a cosmetic defect alright.  The difference between a costmetic defect and a function defect is as follows:

Cosmetic:  A minor defect, usually something that affects the look, styling or appearence of the product without affecting how it functions or it's reliability.

Functional:  A defect that affects how the camera functions, it's reliabitlity or usability.

Cosmetic is something you can live with if you want, or you can contact GoPro to seek a replacement.  However it may cost more in time and effort to replace something that doesn't affect your camera (so a 4 week exchange time for an issue thats appearence only).  Frankly I wouldn't bother replacing it as it's working.  It looks like the anti smudge coating wasn't applied properly.

If it was a functional defect, then yes, I'd seek a replacement as you want your camera to be able to record video and photo's.  In this case it doesn't seem to be a functional defect though.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Tourist

[ New ]
Sad to see that, I do not think GoPro support is any good. I purchased from their official website the latest GoPro 9 Black and when I received the packaging was broken.
There is no way to call their help line, all I can see this forum but they are not interested to reply to customers problems.
I wrote a post here in forum about my issue, but its 4th 5th day and still I do not hear anything back from them.

Go pro is very good only in advertising their products but I am so disappointed to see their services & support.
They are not gonna help us, I just regret why I bought GoPro 9 :(
Adventurer

[ New ]

Are you referring t othe Overlay, the black film  that is boardering the lcd screen?.

Tourist

[ New ]

It extends from the left edge about 2/3 of the way across the screen to the right and also from the top edge down about half way. It's the whole area that is visible in the picture. I have already removed the protective film, unless there is a second protective film that I am unaware of? But it sure doesn't feel like there is.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Looks like a cosmetic defect alright.  The difference between a costmetic defect and a function defect is as follows:

Cosmetic:  A minor defect, usually something that affects the look, styling or appearence of the product without affecting how it functions or it's reliability.

Functional:  A defect that affects how the camera functions, it's reliabitlity or usability.

Cosmetic is something you can live with if you want, or you can contact GoPro to seek a replacement.  However it may cost more in time and effort to replace something that doesn't affect your camera (so a 4 week exchange time for an issue thats appearence only).  Frankly I wouldn't bother replacing it as it's working.  It looks like the anti smudge coating wasn't applied properly.

If it was a functional defect, then yes, I'd seek a replacement as you want your camera to be able to record video and photo's.  In this case it doesn't seem to be a functional defect though.

Backpacker

[ New ]

You regret buying the Hero 9 because your packaging was ripped?  You do understand that they have big automated machines that put those cases into packaging.  Sometimes a crooked placement will cause a ripped box.  That's it.  You have some ripped cardboard and you're claiming that's ruining your life and filling you full of regrets with your purchase?  Maybe people aren't responding to you because it's not actually an issue......   

Tourist

[ New ]

Anti-smudge coating seems likely to be the issue. It does seem to be on top of the glass since I can manipulate it to be more or less visible. I was slightly concerned about potential future impacts to usability, I've had electronics glass delaminate from the body of the material before rendering it unusable (not a gopro product). Just wanted to see what my level of concern should be. It's not really worth the hassle for me to send it in if it's just something simple like that.

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

Backpacker

[ New ]

You can always put a glass protector on it too to prevent any possible delamination!