Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

Making a long timelapse: retrieving photos from SD card without stopping capture

Hello. I'm planning to purchase GoPro Hero 5 black / session (still thinking about which to chose).

I want to use it to take a long timelapse, like 10-20 days. Of course my GoPro will be connected to external power source to last that long.

I plan to take a 4k-resolution photo every 5 seconds. That means 17280 photos a day. If each photo has a size of 2mb, that means more than 30 Gb of SD card space a day, 600 Gb for 20 days. No SD card can handle this amount of photos.

What are my options?

Can I copy (move, delete) taken photos from my GoPro's SD card every day without stopping capture?

If it is possible, how do I do that? Do I have to connect to GoPro via wi-fi? Which device and app should I use? Do I have to use mobile app with Andriod/iOS, or I can do this from PC? I found PC app called Camera Suite, will it do the thing?

If you have an answer, please point which GoPro model it applies to (black / session).

Highlighted
GoPro

Re: Making a long timelapse: retrieving photos from SD card without stopping capture

Hey @whitebearspirit,

Check out this thread. A lot of good info and ideas there for you!

https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/3-month-time-lapse-Can-GoPro-cam-be-connected-to-power-source...

Best,

Ryan

Highlighted
Tourist

Re: Making a long timelapse: retrieving photos from SD card without stopping capture

I have read this thread before. Most informative line for me was this:

If you can access the camera to swap out memory cards (or pull the footage down by wi-fi), you should be able to do this.

I wanted to get detailed info on how do I pull the footage down by wi-fi. And find out if I can do it while my GoPro continues shooting more photos for a timelapse.

Anyway, today I've purchased a GoPro Hero5 Black. Will test this by myself.

Highlighted
Tourist

The answer is: I can't.

I learned how to connect my PC to GoPro via wi-fi, view media and use (un)official API to control my GoPro. I can copy media files when GoPro is in waiting mode. But when it's capturing timelapse (or anything else), I can only view a list of media files (increasing with each shot), but can't download any of them, the camera responds 503 "File temporarily unavailable while recording or download paused". Even if timelapse interval is 60 seconds and camera is doing just nothing for 59 seconds. I still can delete single file / all files from SD card while capturing, this may be useful in some cases.

In conclusion, I want to say that it is not a big deal for me, just I made an investigation and now I have an answer which GoPro support didn't have for me.