Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

MAX video frozen frame / video stops audio continues

[ New ]

I have a 30min recording of 360 video. When i play it back, the video frame stops around the 15 second mark and only the audio keeps playing. When checking the file(s) the one long video was broken up into 4 smaller files and they all share the same thumbnail, which is the last frame that i can play. I tried on my phone, laptop and windows 10 PC. All their OSs are up to date.

MAX Details

Version 1.35

Memory Card: Sandisk Extreme U3 A1 HC1 V30 - 32gb memory card

GoPro

Re: MAX video frozen frame / video stops audio continues

[ New ]

Hello @dnationpt. We recommend doing a manual firmware update to clear out any possible issue with the current installation. The steps below will guide you through the process 

1. Go to the Update page and choose the MAX camera.
  2. Under "Other ways to update" at the bottom of the page, click "Update your camera manually."
  3. Enter your Serial Number and other requested information, click Next Step.
  4. Click "Download Update."
  5. Click "Click here to download firmware."
  6. Follow the steps on the screen for detailed instructions for your operating system. 

Make sure that the camera is fully charged and that you have already saved all the files that you have on the SD card. The card needs to be formatted for the update to be successful. 

The single file being split into segments could be due to chaptering. This is automatically done in the camera. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Thanks @mariustanya so reinstall the same firmware? I can try that and let you know if it happens again. Do we know whats causing it?
I am hesitant since the error occurred with firmware version 1.35 and i still need to install 1.35. there's no guarantee that it wont happen again.

Also im not dnationpt lol
GoPro

[ New ]

Sorry, @paolol4. The tag must have been for a previous thread. 

We do not have exact information at this time. Typically, freezing is associated with an issue on the camera firmware or the SD card used in the camera so we would like to isolate the source of the trouble as much as possible, hence the manual update. We will be watching out for your update.

Thanks!

Hiker

[ New ]

Tried the max after the update. Works ok. The files cannot be transferred to my phone. Whenever I transfer it to my phone and ipad, the transferred file is black.

this is what it looks like on the camera media tab.

this is what it looks like on the app media tab

Tourist

[ New ]

I had this exact same issue. It only happened once though. I am also seeing my recordings being broken up into 8:02 minute files. 

Hiker

[ New ]
Yeah, sadly, i use the max as a "dashcam" for when I go skateboarding. Scary to imagine that it wouldnt work when i need it to.
Hiker

[ New ]
@mariustanya - made another recording 3 hours ago. It was split into an 8:02 file and another 50 second file. The 50 second file downloads to my phone and plays with no problem. The 8:02 file doesnt even transfer to my phone. I tried to transfer twice already. It goes through the transfer process. Goes to the download media screen. Even has 09:15 time remaining. But when it finished, its not in the media tab.

What is going on?
Tourist

[ New ]
Hiker

[ New ]
@bigced2 sad to say GoPro cant seem to fix the issue. Guess we're all owners of a $499 paperweight at this point. :(
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @paolol4 and @bigced2. Thank you for the details that you provided. I recorded with a MAX just today and got a 32-min long recording using 5.6K at 30 fps. 

The MAX camera I used was on version 1.35 and used a SanDisk Extreme 32GB card. 

I was able to play the video through the camera. The whole video continued to play (with both audio and video) beyond 

The video was split into four segments when viewed through the GoPro app and initially showed black thumbnails, but eventually showed the correct ones. No issue was encountered when playing back the chaptered files.

All four chapters (three 8:52-min clips and one 5:39-min clip) were downloaded to the app - all four clips viewable. This was tried on two devices of different OS and the results were the same. 

The devices used were a (1) Samsung Galaxy S8 running on Android 9 with GoPro App version 6.4 installed, and (2) iPhone 8 running on iOS. 

Which devices are you using? Does your device meet the system requirements for 360 Support in the GoPro App? Is the amount of storage available enough to accommodate the needed storage? 

Hiker

[ New ]

Can you run the same test with a bigger san disk drive ? like 128 Gb wondering if that could be something related with bigger than 64gb card flash . also would be great if you can run a record for more than 30 minuteslike an hour stop the record after 30 minutes and launch another records of 30 minutes without formating the card.

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya That was a great ideal to try it in the camera. I received the same frozen screen after 14 seconds that I received when downloading to my IPhone or a Windows PC. That recording just seems to be corrupt. Strange thing is I made no changes and made another recording not long after that, that was fine. It only happen that one time. I'm using the latest Gopro IOS app, Camera fimware 1.35, an iPhone XS Max with the latest firmware and a recommended 128gb SD card in the camera. I did noticed after updating to camera firmware 1.35 was when my videos started getting broken up into 8 minute sections. This was a change I didn't make and only happened after the update. 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi everyone! Sorry to hear about the trouble. We'd like to get a better understanding of what could be causing this. Please contact our Support Team so they can look further into the details and coordinate with the team in charge. You can reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives. When you do, let them know about the troubleshooting steps already taken and provide the following essential info:

• Do you see similar results when playing back the video directly in the camera?
  • When did you first notice the issue?
  • Does it happen to all videos? What are the video settings used?
  • SD card brand and capacity.
  • Do you get the same results using a different recommended SD card?
  • MAX camera's Wi-Fi frequency used.
  • Firmware version installed.
  • Upload a sample raw/unedited footage to your Dropbox or Google Drive and provide the shared link to help us analyze the metadata of the file.

We appreciate the patience and understanding throughout the process.

Hiker

[ New ]

@mariustanya I tried again. Recorded another 4o minute video with a different memory card, the Samsung Evo Select (UHS-1 U3) 128GB.

Same issue. Only this time, the recording stopped around 5 seconds. 40 minutes of video. Wasted. This time, I downloaded it straight to my computer from the memory card. Used gopro max exporter. Same issue. Then after that, I tried viewing media on the max using my phone app. Same, issue, the other videos are of the last frame of video from the first segment.

Really dont know what to do. I also tried using ipad mini 4 to view media. Same.

i uploaded a screenshot of all videos having the same frozen image.

Screenshot_20200110-172714.png
Hiker

[ New ]
hi @aenriquez, the link you sent doesnt work at the moment.
Hiker

[ New ]
chatting with support and they suddenly ended the chat. :(

Mhicaella:My name is Mhicaella. How can I help you? Me:hi mhicaella Mhicaella:Hello Paolo! :) Me:i have issues with my gopro recording Me:I have a 30min recording of 360 video. When i play it back, the video frame stops around the 15 second mark and only the audio keeps playing. When checking the file(s) the one long video was broken up into 4 smaller files and they all share the same thumbnail, which is the last frame that i can play. I tried on my phone, laptop and windows 10 PC. All their OSs are up to date. Mhicaella:Thank you for contacting GoPro Support and raising this concern. I would be happy to help. Me:this isnt the first time this happened Mhicaella:May I know what Gopro camera do you have? Me:i already contacted chat before Me:gorpo max Me:3424579626 is my serial no Mhicaella:Let me check your previous case here. Mhicaella:Hold on Me:ok Mhicaella:Thank you! Mhicaella:Just to confirm, what application are you using to playback the video? Me:i tried the gopro app Me:i tried using VLC media player to play the LRV file Me:i tried converting the 360 file using GoPro max exporter Me:they all play the same thing Me:only the first 5 seconds Mhicaella:What is the resolution of this video? Me:5.6k Me:30 frames Mhicaella:Thanks! Mhicaella:Would you mind sending the Dx diag of your computer? Me:how do i get that Mhicaella:Let me provide the steps Mhicaella:1. Press hold down the Windows key and press R. This will open the Run window. Mhicaella:2. In the Run window type: 'dxdiag' and press OK Me:ok Me:i dont think it has anything to do with my computer Me:since it also freezes with my phone and my ipad Mhicaella:Yeah, that's right. I got your point. Mhicaella:I just wanted to get the dx diag for documentation purposes. It seems that I need to raise this concern to our internal team and I need that information. Mhicaella:Would that be okay? Me:i dont really feel comfortable sharing that information with you Mhicaella:That's fine. It's up to you Pablo, however I cannot guarantee you that we can fix this issue. Because that's one of the requirements specially with this kind of concern, since there's application included. Me:what if i said i had no computer Me:and the gopro app doesnt play the full vide Mhicaella:The Gopro MAX camera requires to have a computer because you need to download the Gopro MAX exporter, Paolo. Mhicaella:I'll just take care of this, I'll try to raise this concern to our team without those information needed, but I cannot guarantee you that this will be resolved. Me:what?? Me:the gopro app on android/ios is not good enough>? Mhicaella:It's enough. However when it comes to playback we need the Gopro MAX player. Me:Are you serious? Me:i was able to view my videos on my ipad mini 4 and pixel 2 xl Mhicaella:Okay Mhicaella:As I mentioned, since you were be able to view the video using the phone and ipad and computer but same issue. We need to isolate it first, that's why I need to gather more information so that I can raise this to our internal team to fix the problem. Me:obviously its already isolated to the gopro Me:what cant you understand that?

heres the transcript