Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

MAX turns off by itself, battery extremely hot

[ New ]

Hi!

Today I wanted to film a 360 indoor project on a stand in the garden shed. It was a little warm inside but not that much. The camera was ok at first, but after about half an hour (SD with over 30 minutes left, battery at 33%, wasn't fully charged at the beginning) she stopped recording and turned off by itself. At first I thought maybe the battery had drained more than expected and wanted to change it. Camera and battery where extremely hot so I waited some minutes, replaced the battery and started over again. Now, only a few minutes later, she stopped and shut off again - same thing, battery and camera where really hot. That happened a few times until I had filmed most of my project - extremely annoying!

Is this expected behaviour using it indoors in a somewhat warmer environment? If not, what can have caused this?

Regards,

Holger

BTW, with the last firmware update I am literally unable to download any media longer than a few seconds to my iPad, because the connection drops every time. Maybe the new firmware has something to do with this behaviour, too?

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: MAX turns off by itself, battery extremely hot

[ New ]

The GoPro Max is an action camera, it's best used in an action environment where there is active air cooling (on the roof of a car, mounted on an airplane wing, mounted on a motor bike, mounted on a kayak etc.).  

When your camera is in a static environment (such as a warm shed with no active cooling) it stands to reason that it will overheat.  

So it's best to do the following if you continue to use it this way:

Use a recommended SD card and make sure it's properly formatted (this means even if it's a new card, format it in your camera before first using it).

Actively cool your camera if possible (point a fan at it).

Turn off features you're not using (for instance if your camera is mounted on a tripod, you don't need stabilization active, GPS active etc).

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

The GoPro Max is an action camera, it's best used in an action environment where there is active air cooling (on the roof of a car, mounted on an airplane wing, mounted on a motor bike, mounted on a kayak etc.).  

When your camera is in a static environment (such as a warm shed with no active cooling) it stands to reason that it will overheat.  

So it's best to do the following if you continue to use it this way:

Use a recommended SD card and make sure it's properly formatted (this means even if it's a new card, format it in your camera before first using it).

Actively cool your camera if possible (point a fan at it).

Turn off features you're not using (for instance if your camera is mounted on a tripod, you don't need stabilization active, GPS active etc).

GoPro

[ New ]

@pandel1975. Which version of the GoPro App is installed on your iPad? We released a new version of the app two days ago. See if updating to this version will help solve the issue of connectivity between the app and the iPad. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Ah ok, thanks! I didn't update the last few days. I will do that immediately and test the connection again!

GoPro

[ New ]

Let us know how it goes after the update. Thanks, @pandel1975

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya I can confirm that after having upgraded the iPad software I had no connection loss and was able to transfer a whole bunch of shots at once. So I think this problem has been solved now. Great! Many thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

@mariustanya Just a question, will someone fix the issue, that the GoPro app does not recognize iPad orientation right from the start? It is really annoying that the app always starts in horizontal mode or even changes back to horizontal after having turned the whole iPad again and again to get it back to landscape orientation. Who on earth uses this app on the iPad horizontally ;-)?

GoPro

[ New ]

Great to know that the issue is resolved, @pandel1975. Thanks for posting back to update us and share the solution. The request for landscape orientation has been shared with the team and is in consideration.