Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

MAX as a Webcam

[ New ]
I’m trying to use the GoPro MAX as a webcam for Zoom meetings on my MacBook pro. I have a CamLink from elgato -- https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/cam-link-4k -- which works for previous gopro models — https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/cam-link/camera-check — but not the MAX.

Any recommendations on hardware or software to use the MAX as a video input source on mac?
Backpacker

Re: MAX as a Webcam

[ New ]

Since the GoPro Max doesn't have a video out port or support Video Out over USB-C, how were you planning on using this as a webcam?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @alispenceler,

I think you won't be able to use that camera as webcam. 

-Jay

Tourist

[ New ]
U can use it as Webcam, why u should Not?
Backpacker

[ New ]

"U" can't use it as a webcam as it doesn't support video over USB-C.  I would say that's a very big reason as to why you "can not" as opposed to "Should not".  

Tourist

[ New ]
GoPro team could develop the GoPro Player to connect to GoPro MAX as it does via iPhone... it's a software limitation. Would be a great plus for the brand.
Backpacker

[ New ]

Actually it's a hardware limitation.  The Max connects to the Iphone using WiFi and it can only stream a low resolution video stream amount of data in the stream.

If you were to connect the max to your PC or Laptop with the same method you'd immediatly lose internet connectivity (due to the fact that your camera would be using the WiFi connection).  The picture you would get would also be a very low resolution and much worse than using an actual webcam.  So what would be the point?

Tourist

[ New ]
You are right. But an webcam is usually connected via USB to the computer. Could GoPro Max be updated to work this way too?

Thanks
Hiker

[ New ]

Sorry, but it seems to me that MAX has the Live streaming function: so how does streaming transmit if it occupies the smartphone's wifi? Maybe it can connect directly to the router to send the stream?

Is the "Live streaming" function at low resolution? Really?

@irishmanpdx  ha scritto:

Actually it's a hardware limitation.  The Max connects to the Iphone using WiFi and it can only stream a low resolution video stream amount of data in the stream.

Sightseer

[ New ]

Its rather sad that the Max can't do this.  :( 

Hiker

[ New ]
You can setup the MAX to live stream — could it live stream directly into a conference call like Zoom? You could live stream to Facebook and then share your Facebook stream via Zoom screen share?
Tourist

[ New ]

I have usb-c to hdmi. when i turn on camera it say - no signal(

sdfsdfsdf.JPG
Backpacker

[ New ]
The GoPro Max does not support video out via usbc
Tourist

[ New ]

It would be the best upgrade to GoPro: use the USB-C cable and connect GoPro as a webcam... or, at least use the only output as HDMI out

Hiker

[ New ]

@tguitarbr  ha scritto:

It would be the best upgrade to GoPro: use the USB-C cable and connect GoPro as a webcam... or, at least use the only output as HDMI out

It is months and months and months ..... that this function is requested, but even in this latest update there is nothing.

Let's wait another 5 months and see if there will be surprises.

Tourist

[ New ]

I hope the developers will make this function.)

Yesterday I tried to connect the gopro max via a wifi connector app to pc and then to the camera suite application but the live view did not work ( I turned on the streaming service and launched ffmpeg but the video still could not be seen. I will understand further.

Hiker

[ New ]

@swagin  ha scritto:

Yesterday I tried to connect the gopro max via a wifi connector app to pc and then to the camera suite application but the live view did not work ( I turned on the streaming service and launched ffmpeg but the video still could not be seen. I will understand further.

In fact I have not yet happened because the MAX can do the live-streaming (in theory) but cannot do the webcam, they should be about the same function right?

Backpacker

[ New ]

Think how much time would have been saved if people actually read the previous posts....

The GoPro Max doesn't not support video out as it is lacking the hardware to support this.  All the firmware updates in the world will not change the fact it's missing hardware support for video out over USB-C.

https://youtu.be/WfCuZAr3GeA

The above link shows you how to wirelessly stream a GoPro Hero 8 to OBS studio using an $80 software package.  Now this is free to try, you can always try to see if it will work with the GoPro Hero Max also.  Please note though that the Hero Max only supports streaming in "Hero Mode" so it will not be a 360 stream.

GoPro to OBS - bit.ly/gopro2obsAMAZON RTMP TUTORIAL by AnnoyedWithChat https://youtu.be/O0SOYS6_BnwGoPro to OBS ip address (numbers will vary, replace all Xs...