Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

MAC: Migration of GoPro Folder from Mac to External HDD Retaining Cloud Location and Future Use

Hi all,

My GoPro 8 has taken up a large amount of storage on my Mac.

Currently all videos loaded to the Cloud. I beleive I need to take two actions:

1. In order to avoid this happening again I have changed the import location from the Mac default to an external HDD. I assume it's then just a case of doing in order - Connect External HDD, Open GoPro Quick and then running as normal?

2. Currently 'copy and pasting' the whole GoPro folder from Mac Pictures to the new HDD. Does this have any impact on the cloud? My worry is that the cloud will be looking for images in location X and can't find them. I don't wantt location Y to then mean they are all re added / indexed. Any guides on this?

Thank you! 

GoPro

Re: MAC: Migration of GoPro Folder from Mac to External HDD Retaining Cloud Location and Future Use

Hello @orange77. You are right about action 1. The only action that would affect cloud storage is deleting media trough Quik for desktop. As long as you have all media uploaded to the cloud, you should be able to access them using any method of access

Tourist

Re: MAC: Migration of GoPro Folder from Mac to External HDD Retaining Cloud Location and Future Use

Hi mariustanya,

So this happened:

• Copied all data from GoPro folder to external HDD
  • Checked all working (56 folders at time)
  • Deleted GoPro folder from Mac
  • Lost all videos on Quik
  • Lost all videos in cloud
  • Contact GoPro support - Angel A was helping me if can tag her in this thread

Since then have been manually adding or using Quik to get them all back in.

Without HDD connected in Quik I have what I think is most if not all of my media showing as available (presume a thumbnail is cached as the HDD is not connected). Note that i selecting the show unavailable option.  This is a lot may I add too many to count but maybe 100.

Without the HDD connected in the standard view I have 29 videos. Some show the cloud logo, some do not. I assume the cloud logo means in the cloud but not in Quik unless download it. The others though make no sense. If I click a Quik one, it shows the spinning GP logo and then plays.

What I expect to see is this:

• When media is uploaded - it shows in the cloud
  • I should then see all cloud media in Quik and can download what I need - OR - if the HDD is connected use that

What is going wrong mariustanya?

THANK YOU

PS. In the Cloud can you rotate media in same way you can in Quik? I wear my GP (Hero 8 latest firmware) upside down on my bike.