Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Long exposure shot in broad daylight failed with ND1000

[ New ]

Hi everyone esp @duanem8 sorry as I have to post a new topic since the previous one has been locked. 

I've just bought a Freewell ND1000 filter but very dissapointing with the results. The photo was blown out like no filter been used even with just 2 sec shutter and 100 ISO min & max. I'm sharing the photo below.

FREEWELL ND1000.jpg

FREEWELL ND1000 bought from eBay for USD30

2S.jpg

SHUTTER SPEED :2S / INTERVAL : 4S / ISO MIN & MAX : 100 / NATIVE / TIME : 11.30AM

5S.jpg

SHUTTER SPEED :5S / INTERVAL : 10S / ISO MIN & MAX : 100 / NATIVE / TIME : 11.30AM

Are there something wrong with the setting?. Really appreciate if anyone can help me out regarding this issue.

Thank you in advance ;)

Hiker

Re: Long exposure shot in broad daylight failed with ND1000

[ New ]

I think 10 stops is just not enough for what you want to do in full sunlight.

The Hero7 has a fixed aperature of f/2.8 which means it always lets a lot of light in, even at ISO100.

I see someone else's Hero7 sample photo under full sunlight shot at ISO100, f/2.8 and the shutter came out at 1/1500.

Let's take that down 10 stops with ND1000 (aka ND1024) filter. 

1 1/750

2 1/375

3 1/187.5

4 1/93.75

5 1/46.875

6 1/23.438

7 1/11.72

8 1/5.86

9 1/2.92

10 1/1.46    

At 10 stops reduction your shutter is still less than 1 second to get same exposure.    Any longer than that, it'll be overexposed.

To get it down to 2 seconds, you'd need almost another 2 stops reduction in light, and another 4 stops beyond that to get close to 10 seconds.

Hiker

[ New ]

FWIW, I have no idea how that video got associated with my post above. Ignore it.

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks @daemn42 for the details explainantion, I apreciate that. However I only do timelapse and I normally use night lapse mode and at this mode the shortest shutter speed on Hero 6 is 2s. What I don't understand here, why I did not have such problem with my Mavic using the same setting. The picture below was taken by Mavic under the bright sun with ND1000 (also Freewell), Shutter 2s, Interval Auto, Iso 100, Profile D-Cinelike. Maybe it's time to move for Osmo pocket?

DJI_2781.jpg

Hiker

[ New ]

Mavic Pro's camera has variable aperature f/2.8 to f/11 a 4 stop range.   In that scene with those settings it probably stopped down as needed, which would give you to the 2-4 stops more you need (from the calculations above).

Hiker

[ New ]

Thanks again @daemn42 for the explaination and yes I think it makes sense with the variable apperture on Mavic. But if we go back to my previous thread HERE, may I know why this guy@duanem8 does not have a problem with his photos?. I have the same setting as him.

Backpacker

[ New ]

sorry for not getting involved in the conversation earlier, not sute if its a factor but for any timelapse stuff I always use my old faithfull Hero 4 Black