Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Livestreaming while kayaking - is computer needed along?

[ New ]

Hello

So I got this fun idea that I would like to stream going down the river to FB page and share the river with those that can not due to lock down. 

Now - to set up at home usually I would connect my gopro to phone, set up mobile hot spot, set up all on computer start streaming and have a computer on the side to "manage" the stream (tho can just press play and go live on gopro in theory). 

Question: Can I leave my computer at the put-in of the river - and go down 7km away from it with my phone in the pocket and gopro streaming? Or would it be necessary for computer to stay close to the gopro for some reason that I can not come up with? 

I think that it will be super cool idea but I can not really test it before or not sure how could I. 

Oh - also, I m gonna go down whitewater river, fairly low class, but takng a computer down is not really an option !

Thx for help

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Livestreaming while kayaking - is computer needed along?

[ New ]

Hello, @diehardbiker. You do not have to be near the computer as long as you have already gathered the information needed (RTMP or RTMPS URL combined with your stream name/key) and set in in the app for you to be able to live stream.

Be sure to have strong cellular coverage and a data plan that lets you stream from a hotspot and provides adequate data rates.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Adventurer

[ New ]

Why are you not testing it out yourself???   phone only, hotspot.   try it.

Backpacker

[ New ]

Your camera connects to your phone via Wifi, your phone then uses it's data connection (4G or 5G) to live stream, you don't need a computer at all.

If you have a terrible data plan or bad cell service, then you can set up your camera to use your home or business WiFi to stream, again, no computer needed.  

Hiker

[ New ]
I don't thun you guys I right unless there is something wrong with my gopro. When I close the screen with gopro up connection brakes between gopro and app and stream breaks
Also it won't work for fb business page to stream from the phone unless I'm doing something wrong
Backpacker

[ New ]

When I close the screen with gopro up connection brakes between gopro and app and stream breaks

Yes, when you close the program the stream will end.  You need to leave the GoPro app open

Also it won't work for fb business page to stream from the phone unless I'm doing something wrong

Most people have a business page and a personal page and don't provide the correct login details for the GoPro app.  The provide their personal details.  You should contact Facebook for the correct settings to use.

Adventurer

[ New ]

the phone.   gopro and hotspot not data,   you must activate Hotspot,  after you set up via the gopro app. simply view on FB

Sightseer

[ New ]

I'd also test it out but make sure you tone down your GoPro quality on the camera.  No need to record in 4k if you are just streaming.  You definitely won't be doing FB live or the like over a phone in 4k.

Hiker

[ New ]
Okay guys, thank you all for the replies however nobody has really answered question to my situation.

1. I want to stream to fb business page =computer is needed
2. I want to go down the river with enough quality from my phone hotspoting to the gopro

Question: does computer used for streaming to FB page has to be for some reason close to the gopro and goproapp?
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @diehardbiker. You do not have to be near the computer as long as you have already gathered the information needed (RTMP or RTMPS URL combined with your stream name/key) and set in in the app for you to be able to live stream.

Be sure to have strong cellular coverage and a data plan that lets you stream from a hotspot and provides adequate data rates.