Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Livestream issues

[ New ]

I attempted to use the Live Stream feature of the GoPro Hero 7 Black this past weekend to broadcast my niece's wedding on Facebook because it had to be scaled down to a very small crowd due to Covid.  I had hoped to broadcast for family & friends that couldn't be there.

Because your documentation and explanations of how to setup & use Live Stream are so lacking (especially where Hotspot usage is concerned), I experimented with the configuration process many times leading up to the actual ceremony to ensure I had the steps worked out.  I mounted the camera right-side up, plugged it into an outlet for power (confirmed power worked by checking the icon on the LCD) and started the stream about 10 minutes prior to the ceremony starting.

Imagine my frustration and anger when I go to retrieve the GoPro afterwards to find it was OFF!

This is just another frustration - and the largest - with this camera.  I've lost footage from vacations or other family events because of the device locked up, but those were relatively minor events compared to losing out on an entire wedding ceremony.

I've been using GoPros since Hero 2 and have happily recommended devices to family and friends in the past, but I've had it with the Hero 7 black.

Tourist

Re: Livestream issues

[ New ]
For clarity, I confirmed the stream was working on Facebook after I started it. I have almost exactly 10 minutes of video streamed / recorded while we waited for the ceremony to start.
Nomad

[ New ]

So when you connect external power, you should remove the internal battery first, otherwise you run the risk of your camera overheating and shutting down.  Sounds like this is what happened.

Tourist

[ New ]

Maybe. Smiley Frustrated

The wedding was outside and it was 90+ deg F that afternoon.

I've never known of this limitation before.  I've run GoPros plugged in to power for years - mostly mounted in cabs of construction equipment.  If this is a known limitation by GoPro, it sure would be nice to get some sort of notice either on the back LCD screen or in the app when this configuration is detected. Smiley Mad

Tourist

[ New ]

Reading the manual, I don't think removing the battery would have helped anything:

"Even though your camera is plugged in, the battery will not charge during
recording. It will start charging when you stop recording. You cannot
record while charging with a computer.
Heads Up: Because the door is open, your camera is not waterproof
when charging."

There is no warning in the manual about removing the battery while recording with the camera connected to external power.

Nomad

[ New ]
Yes, im sure everything undernthe sun is mentioned in the manual, im sure there's no room for past experience or feedback from gopro on these forums.
Tourist

[ New ]
So there's room for a 'heads up' about something as obvious as the compromised water proof capabilities with the door open, but not about the not obvious risk of overheating when plugged in to external power while trying to record?

C'mon...

With the extensive usage of electronic documentation, they're is no excuse for not including this in the manual other than they turn a blind eye and hope no one ever actually experiences the issue.
Nomad

[ New ]

Yeah I don't care about the manual what it says or doesn't say, you can take that up with GoPro. I'm here to provide you with an answer as to what caused the issue and how to avoid the issue going forward. 

If you want to do another livestream even, I suggest you do a test run, even if it's just filming the kettle boiling (exciting I know!).  Point another camera at your camera to see if it records ok, whether it shuts down and to see if there's any other error message.  PITA I know, but it's like photography, you always grab safety shots and always bring another camera.

Other users have reported a dropped stream connection after 60 mins, but I believe GoPro updated their app recently to automatically reconnect if there's a dropped connection of any sort.  Might be worth checking out too.  Good luck!