Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Live Streaming With the Hero 7

[ New ]

Hello,

I participate in an extreme racing sport which is water based and was wandering how I can directly live stream to facebook with the hero 7 without a phone?

I am guessing I will need a wifi hotspot with a sim in it but cant find any which would be suitable in a water sport.

What are the options for this?

Many Thanks

Joe

GoPro

Re: Live Streaming With the Hero 7

[ New ]

Hello @joetarps

Very good question. The live streaming feature for the HERO7 Black camera only works with the GoPro App which means that a mobile device will need to be paired with the camera. In addition, mobile data will also be necessary as the camera and mobile device will be connected via Wi-Fi. 

Thanks, 

Marius

Tourist

[ New ]

Does GoPro offer a way to live stream without the app?

Thanks

Adventurer

[ New ]

Two options htat ws mentioned

home wifi , and  smartphone.

GoPro

[ New ]

No, it does not, @joetarps. Even if you go the third-party method (that is, using Periscope for iOS devices), you will still need the app (Periscope, not GoPro App) which will still require a mobile device. Other members who have successfully live-streamed before also made use of devices other than the GoPro camera. Thanks!

Sightseer

[ New ]
Does the app need to be open on the screen or can does it work with the app running in the background? Context: I race a car in an endurance series and would like to livestream with the hero 7 connected to my iPad mounted in the car. But, I use the iPad in the car for gauges and track map/position so obviously I would need that on the screen, not the GoPro app.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @snowywave5882

If your gauge doesn't interrupt the connection between the app and camera that should be fine. 

You may switch to any app once you setup live. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Sightseer

[ New ]

how can livestream be done on a facebook page, not on a personal account?

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @dcosmin,

For now the only option is stream to your personal account. 

You can use other app though that supports RTMP and then share it to your page. 

Regards,

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

ok, i take go pro app - next i will taka facebook - next i have set up live - i click this butto and.....nothig heppend :(

42785663_881912442004812_9213000953555320832_n.jpg

Hiker

[ New ]

You need two mobile devices if you want to do live stream on the move. One to use Gopro app and the other to use as a wifi hotspot. I have no idea why the app isn't capable of using mobile data.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @foggydawn01510 @mika7171

You may use the same phone, just set up personal hotspot. Should you wish to use Wi-Fi, the connection to your camera will switch to Bluetooth.

Please go over the steps to setup live stream: Getting Started With Live Streaming

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006

How can you connect your phone to its own wifi hotspot? Smiley Very Happy

The GoPro app runs in your phone and the app wants to make the connection to wifi. So you really can't use the hotspot that runs in the same phone where the GoPro app runs.

Hiker

[ New ]

@aragon1006

Seems like I was wrong. You can connect to your own hotspot. First you have to launch the setup and wait that camera changes its connection to bluetooth. Then you can set your phones wifi hotspot and connect to it!

Thank you

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @mika7171

Sure. 

Let us know if you were able to set up live stream.

Thanks!

Ej

Hiker

[ New ]

Hi @aragon1006

Yes I got it working.

I even made a little tutorial video how to set up your GoPro app to live stream on Facebook.

GoPro

[ New ]

Awesome! Thank you for posting back to confirm issue resolution, @mika7171. If you would not mind, you can share the link to the tutorial video that you created here so other members who might be having the same concerns can be guided. Best regards! 

Tourist

[ New ]

I the video guide above in 0:17 I am seeing (!) mark without any text instaed of connected. Any ideas what is wrong with the app?

Tourist

[ New ]

found in other thread advice to reinstall... actually helped :}

Adventurer

[ New ]

My plan is for DATA not HotSpot would GoPro pick the Hotspot tab up or simply offer us hte option.   I  am not  near 1 million Hoptspots claimed by Optimum that  would cover every square Mile it does not.  Please change  and add  data like PERISCOPE  . and make this  more complicated the harder the better!!!!!

Tourist

[ New ]

Every time I select "Setup Live", I get this. I've already deleted and reinstalled the GoPro app (I'm on an iPhone XS, iOS12). Any ideas?

Photo Oct 14, 12 34 00 PM.png

Hiker

[ New ]

@joeyimageTurn your phones Bluetooth on?

Tourist

[ New ]
I don’t turn my Bluetooth off. I got it working. Apparently even though it’s an option, it doesn’t like you to rename the camera. So I added it again to the app as a new camera, kept the default name, and it works now.
Tourist

[ New ]
This whole live streaming thing seems very temperamental and is extremely frustrating. I have been dicking around with this for hours now and still haven’t been successful. Have reset the cameras connections, followed the instructions but every time I select “set up live” it just gives me a connection error. Any suggestions before I give up GoPro?
Tourist

[ New ]
It’s definitely temperamental. Just leave the default camera name and it should be okay. Worked right away for me once I did that.
Tourist

[ New ]
After reinstalling tha App and resetting the H7 connections I successfully started a live stream connected to my home WIFI. As soon as I tried to repeat the process but connecting to my phones hotspot I get an error “you need an internet connection ,,,,,, even although the hotspot appears to be successfully connected. Once I have tried the hotspot connection, any attempt to live stream even using a WIFI. connection returns the same error. The only way I have found to fix it is to delete and reinstall the App. It has taken me hours to get to this point and to be honest I expected better when spending $600 on a camera. GoPro, what are your suggestions? What are you doing to resolve this issue? Phone is iPhone 8 iOS 12.0.1. GoPro also up to date.
Sightseer

[ New ]

Sooo.....

I can get my hero7 hooked up and working with facebook to go live.

However, the video and sound is garbage. The video is jumpy, stops and starts. The sound cuts in and out.

It is basically unusable.

Connected through phone hotspot.

Galaxy S8+ with full bars.

Tried on 2 days. The first day, streamed two volleyball sets, continuously for about 30 minutes. Had no idea it was that bad until I got home.

Tried again last night, lowering the video to 480p to see if that helped. Not at all.

What am I missing????

Sightseer

[ New ]

Please add the facebook pages streaming as soon as possible! We need to stream from page, not personale profile!!! Thankssss

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @sweetstorm50480,

Thanks for your suggestion. 

We'll forward this to our team. 

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi Everyone,

Does someone know why the gopro 7 black doesnt turn around automatically up and down in livestream mode ? 

It work just fine in the recording mode but not in the streaming mode. 

Please Gopro fix this problem i can't livestream if the camera image doesnt turn around automatically (180°). 

Thanks a lot 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @br4v3heart,

For streaming it's only available in landscape mode.

Regards,

-Jay 

Hiker

[ New ]
Can we please get a button on the gopro to restart the livestream with the previous settings? It is so frustrating for the gopro to stop streaming then you have to whip out your cellphone and configure the whole thing again which takes about 2 minutes just to restart streaming with exactly the same settings you were just using,
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi @jayr3438

Thank you for your response. 

What do you mean about landscape ? I don't have this FOV

I use a go pro hero 7 black and have these 3 modes : Linear, wide & superview

I tried with these 3 FOV format and still no automatic rotation from the gopro (180°)

Please help me with this, all the purpose of me streming is gone without this feature

Thank you by advance

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi again @jayr3438

I just did some more testing. It actually rotate on the gopro screen bot not on the stream page. 

I tested it on youtube and on Twitch rtmp and the problem is the same

Please help me with that

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @br4v3heart,

There are 2 screen orientation.

Landscape and portrait. 

By default your camera is on landscape and if you rotate your camera it's now called portrait.

Portrait is not an option for live streaming. 

Regards.

-Jay 

Tourist

[ New ]

hi @jayr3438

Ok i understand, i always stream on landscape 16 9, but when i rotate my camera as 180° it is still on landscape, it's just upside down, in other word up becomes down and down becomes up, so it doesnt change the landscapte format.

So my problem is still ongoing, the camera rotate on its screen but not for the viewers

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @br4v3heart.

Can you please send a screenshot so that we can report this case?

Also have you tried updating the camera firmware manually?

Thanks,

-Jay 

Sightseer

[ New ]

How to change filming mode from superwide to linear when you live in Facebook? 

GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @noblestar06212

Currently Wide FOV  is utilized when on live stream.

Please continue checking our website for updates.

Software Update Release Information

Thanks!

Ej