Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker
Accepted Solution

Less reliability with a qualified SD card

With my Hero 7 Black, I started off with an EVO card, not on the list and I really only had 1 or two lock-ups. 

Now that my qualified SDSQXNE-064G-AN6MA has arrived, I'm having constant issues. 

For example, the screen stuck upside down, non-responsiveness to touch, the inablity to connect to the GoPro App & Quik, as well as the need to pull the battery twice yesterday.

I was at work showing people the camera, nothing more than turning it on & swiching modes, taking short clips, etc.  

I've already reset the device back to defaults & have formatted the 'qualifeid' card inside the camera twice.

I also noticed that sleep didn't kick in as expected.  It's set for 15 minutes and the battery was at ~89%.  When picking up the camera later after letting it time-out and powering it back up, battery was at 38%.

Anyone have any thoughts on those things?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Less reliability with a qualified SD card

Since the camera isn't "officially" out yet, I don't think you are running on the firmware that will be released (it usually comes out the same day the cameras hit the store shelves). Once it does, a manual update will most likely fix the issue (if it's not just a bad card).

As far as your SD card is concerned, SanDisk (while a very popular SD card maker) is notorious for releasing bad batches of cards. I'm not saying for certain that it is your issue, but it sounds like you have a bad card (considering your EVO was working fine).

I have a very long history on this site of railing against SanDisk cards after all of the issues I have had with them over the years, but have been more supportive since the v30 versions of the Extreme came out, as these cards have been working for me. However, I recently purchased a couple more SanDisk Extreme v30 64GB cards and one of them makes my HERO6 go completely bonkers. The other card, purchased at the same time from the same place, works fine.

A FULL (not quick) format of the SD card might help. I expect that a firmware update for the HERO7 Black should be out in a few days, so you might want to wait for that. If a format and the update don't correct the issue, return the card and just use the EVO in the meantime.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Explorer

Since the camera isn't "officially" out yet, I don't think you are running on the firmware that will be released (it usually comes out the same day the cameras hit the store shelves). Once it does, a manual update will most likely fix the issue (if it's not just a bad card).

As far as your SD card is concerned, SanDisk (while a very popular SD card maker) is notorious for releasing bad batches of cards. I'm not saying for certain that it is your issue, but it sounds like you have a bad card (considering your EVO was working fine).

I have a very long history on this site of railing against SanDisk cards after all of the issues I have had with them over the years, but have been more supportive since the v30 versions of the Extreme came out, as these cards have been working for me. However, I recently purchased a couple more SanDisk Extreme v30 64GB cards and one of them makes my HERO6 go completely bonkers. The other card, purchased at the same time from the same place, works fine.

A FULL (not quick) format of the SD card might help. I expect that a firmware update for the HERO7 Black should be out in a few days, so you might want to wait for that. If a format and the update don't correct the issue, return the card and just use the EVO in the meantime.
Highlighted
Hiker

Sounds good.  Looks like firmware is going to delay my product review  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Highlighted
Explorer

You should contact the GoPro Support Team and see what the have to say.