Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Lens and device overheat

Hi

I have  just purchased the GoPro hero black 7 yesterday. I've just been testing for how much filming time I get out of the GoPro batteries. The battery reached 50 minutes and turned its self off, and the whole device was absolutely red hot! I couldn't hold my finger on the lens for more than 5 seconds with out burning my self. I turned the device back on again and it had 6% battery left so I presume it had shut it's self down due to the heat of the GoPro. I was running 4 k  all the way through the 50 minutes. Is this a common problem with all the GoPro devices? My gut feeling is telling me to take it back because I plan to use my GoPro in the Middle East in June for desert activities etc at around 35 degree heat And I  don’t think the two will mix well!

Thanks

Regards

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Lens and device overheat

I'm pretty sure that recording at 4K @ 30 with stabiliztion turned on or 60 fps with stabilization turned off, gps turned on, wifi turned on, voice commands turned on..... is really going to tax the camera and overheat it when left on for 50 minutes.  If you're intending to do long shoots you may want to try turning off features you're not using, keeping the camera out of direct sunlight and increasing airflow around the camera.  

I do long shots with the camera mounted on the wing of a plane, not a problem because it's got lots of nice airflow.  But for a static environment I'll lower the frame rate (no need to have it at 60fps if there's no movement), turn off the GPS (the camera isn't moving anywhere) and whereas I'll use the wifi connection to frame the shot in the app, I'll turn off wifi while shooting as I'm not using it.  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Re: Lens and device overheat

I'm pretty sure that recording at 4K @ 30 with stabiliztion turned on or 60 fps with stabilization turned off, gps turned on, wifi turned on, voice commands turned on..... is really going to tax the camera and overheat it when left on for 50 minutes.  If you're intending to do long shoots you may want to try turning off features you're not using, keeping the camera out of direct sunlight and increasing airflow around the camera.  

I do long shots with the camera mounted on the wing of a plane, not a problem because it's got lots of nice airflow.  But for a static environment I'll lower the frame rate (no need to have it at 60fps if there's no movement), turn off the GPS (the camera isn't moving anywhere) and whereas I'll use the wifi connection to frame the shot in the app, I'll turn off wifi while shooting as I'm not using it.