Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see if it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Lagging video on smart tv

[ New ]
I just purchased my first gopro (hero8). My video files (1080/60fps res) play fine on my laptop (windows 10) but when i cast them to my samsung OLED smart tv they are lagging horribly. Same when i use my video editing software, the clips shutter terribly which is very frustrating.Can someone help please?

Accepted Solutions
Backpacker

Re: Lagging video on smart tv

[ New ]

Not all MP4 files are equel.  For instance your MP4 movies could be encoded with a much lower bit rate using a different encoder that your system can handle easily.  Whereas with the GoPro, the MP4 file could be a much much higher bit rate using a higher compression codec (such as HEVC) that produces amazing quality but is more resource heavy to play back (thus causing issues when streaming such a higher quality file).  

View solution in original post

All Replies
Backpacker

[ New ]

If you are casting them to your TV, then it's likely the file is too large and your network too slow to handle playback smoothly.  You would be better off converting the files into something natively supported by your TV or using specific streaming software such as plex.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thank you for the reply. I can cast 4k movies in the same format (mp4) with much larger file sizes (up to 4gb) which are crystal clear when cast. I just have the issue with my gopro files which are a lot smaller
Backpacker

[ New ]

Not all MP4 files are equel.  For instance your MP4 movies could be encoded with a much lower bit rate using a different encoder that your system can handle easily.  Whereas with the GoPro, the MP4 file could be a much much higher bit rate using a higher compression codec (such as HEVC) that produces amazing quality but is more resource heavy to play back (thus causing issues when streaming such a higher quality file).  

Tourist

[ New ]
I managed to find a couple of conversions that worked perfectly. Thanks again for your assistance....very much appreciated.