Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist

LED light don't turn off after the expected charge time

My GoPro Hero 7 Black never turn off its LED light when the battery is charging and after the expected charge time, even after a lot of hours - more than 8 - connected to the power. I already updated the firmware (to the v1.51), and also tried with diferent wall chargers (5V - 1A and 5V - 2A), and already removed and reinsert the batery and microSD card (sanDisk Extreme 64GB) (, and already tried a factory reset, ... ). More, when I turn on the camera, the batery level is always around 97%. (never reaches 99% or 100%)
I thought it was a problem with that camera, and went to the store to replace it for another one, but unfortainly with the new one the same thing happens.
Can anyone help, please?
Thank you.

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: LED light don't turn off after the expected charge time

There were reports of this (and I experienced it as well) when the HERO6 came out. In that case, it seemed to be related to the battery. Over time, after several discharges and recharging, it seems to go away. I had one battery that was notorious for this but now I don't which one it is as I don't have this issue anymore.

While I'd like to say for certain that this issue will rectify itself on it's own after time and use with the camera, GoPro also did release firmware updates to the Hero6, so that could have been the fix the camera battery needed. In either case, the issue did resolve, as I suspect this will for you as well.

When it comes to charging your camera, it should take no more than 1-2 hours. If you are using a wall charger it should be closer to an hour. With the HERO6, after about an hour I would turn the camera on and then off. For whatever reason, the camera would then finish the last few percentage of charging, hit 100%, and then shut off the charging light. If I didn't do this, the light would stay on and it usually would stay at around 98% charge.

This "fix" isn't ideal, but hopefully it will work for you. Like I mentioned, the issue did go away with the HERO6 so I suspect it will for the HERO7 as well.
Highlighted
Tourist

I brought a Hero 7 Black myself yesterday, and I too am having the same issue. I left it charging all night and this morning the light was still on and the battery charge was 98%. not impressed. Didn't have this issue with the 5!

Highlighted
Tourist

The error I had already at the Hero 6 GoPro, the error messages from the customers obviously not forward to the developers. Or they do not take such a thing seriously. You can tell by the fact that the Hero 7 still has the same error.

There is also the hint that it should be due to the batteries. But nobody worked here either. Too bad.

The main thing, the GoPro is cool - and the users too. And really cool guys are not interested in the charge indicator.....

Highlighted
Tourist

following.. cause I have exact the same issue..

Highlighted
Explorer

Not that I'm saying this is a solution, but just out of curiosity, if you turn the camera on and then off once it hits 98% does it complete the charge and then turn off the light?
Highlighted
Tourist

It doesn't make any difference.
Highlighted
Tourist

Hi danielr15. Thanks a lot for your message and all suggestions. I've tried it all and unfortunately not work. But as you mentioned, maybe the issue shall go away after time and use with the camera. Thanks again.