Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Anonymous
Accepted Solution

LCD screen issue?

Just got a Hero 5 Black today and am completely new to the GoPro cameras. I noticed that I had a dead pixel on the bottom portion of the LCD screen, which I'll live with, but I had a question about shooting video with the screen. One of the reasons I got this camera was due to the LCD screen and I noticed a black bar at the bottom of the screen when shooting video. When I switch to Camera mode, it goes away. Is this black bar normal? Just want to make sure there isn't something wrong with the camera. 

Thanks in advance! 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: LCD screen issue?

The black bars on the LCD are normal. It is in relation to the resolution you are shooting in.

@tantram8226
You are seeing black bars on the video when played on your computer? Please post some frame grabs. If you are filming in 4:3 you will have black bars on the sides, this is due to the chosen resolution, and is normal.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

@Anonymous - The black bar at the bottom of the screen when you're shooting video is an overlay that serves as a background for the settings you've set for the video (screen resolution, which field of view you want, etc.). If you're not seeing these settings on top of that black bar, then your camera may need to have its firmware updated.

Instructions on how to update the firmware can be found at https://gopro.com/update/hero5.

When shooting a photo, the settings are there, but the black bar is gone.

Thanks,

Jeff

Highlighted
Anonymous

[ Edited ]

Have the same problem, just video mode has the bottom portion blacked out. Was wondering the same thing if there was a way to remove that. Here is a picture of the bottom portion of the screen in video mode with the settings out of the way. I would really hate to return this camera as I think I got lucky with a solid camera otherwise with no problems other than this little bug. *knock on wood*  Thanks in advance for any advice.

15722610_236409846771259_1122587228_n.jpg
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yes, that's exactly what I have, Bluebluff! Thanks for submitting the picture.. I didn't get a chance to snap one myself. Waiting for a response as well.. any advice, Jeff or to anyone else? Thanks for the responses so far, guys! Just wanting to double check in case I need to exchange mine.
Highlighted
Anonymous

But, yes, I hear what you're saying, Jeff, but if you notice in Bluebluffs picture, the settings are off the screen and the black bar remains.
Highlighted
Anonymous

And one last point is that it goes away when going into photo mode, which doesn't seem to make sense as well.
Highlighted
Anonymous

Yup every other mode doesnt have that at the bottom other than video mode. Its just annoying to see mostly.
Highlighted
GoPro Community Manager

Thanks for the picture. I think what you're seeing is just the dimensions of the screen on the camera being different than the dimensions of the image you're capturing. On most settings, the captured image is wider than the camera's screen, so it will show as if it's "letterboxed" on your display.

For example, if you switch your settings to the 2.7K 4:3 setting, you'll see that the image on the display fills the display from top to bottom, but adds some bars where the display is wider than the captured image on the right and left sides.