Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Kolor is closing, what future for Fusion ?

As Kolor, owned by gopro has closed on september 14, 2018, should we be worried about the future of fusion ? (hardware and software updates)

Fusion-related plugins and VR player developped by Kolor team will no longuer evolute ? (Gopro fusion studio)

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
GoPro

Re: Kolor is closing, what future for Fusion ?

Hello @taels8845

Fusion-related plugins and VR player are available with the Fusion Studio bundle and can be downloaded here. GoPro will continue to manage its spherical operations in three locations – San Mateo (hardware), Paris (image science) and Carlsbad (software development). 

Although existing Kolor products will no longer be updated, existing users will be able to use their account login and/or existing license keys to download registered software from Kolor.com. Kolor products including Autopano, Autpano Video and Panotour are being sunset. Autopano and Autopano Video will be made available for download for existing users who will have access using their unique software license key. However the products will no longer be updated and support will be community-based. We do want to let the community continue to support Forge.js and it will continue to be available as an open source initiative.

Best regards, 
Marius

View solution in original post

All Replies
GoPro

Hello @taels8845

Fusion-related plugins and VR player are available with the Fusion Studio bundle and can be downloaded here. GoPro will continue to manage its spherical operations in three locations – San Mateo (hardware), Paris (image science) and Carlsbad (software development). 

Although existing Kolor products will no longer be updated, existing users will be able to use their account login and/or existing license keys to download registered software from Kolor.com. Kolor products including Autopano, Autpano Video and Panotour are being sunset. Autopano and Autopano Video will be made available for download for existing users who will have access using their unique software license key. However the products will no longer be updated and support will be community-based. We do want to let the community continue to support Forge.js and it will continue to be available as an open source initiative.

Best regards, 
Marius

Sightseer

Dear @mariustanya,

there is a big bunch of current professional users of Kolor software who worry about the future of their businesses (me included).

We have created a lot of Virtual Tours for customers, some of us have signed contracts with the customers that bind us to update those tours regularly. As long as Autopano (Giga) and Panotour Pro will work and their output will work flawlessly with current web browser versions, everything is fine, but the day will come when this will not be the case anymore. This can even be next week. Or in a year. Who knows.

We have built a community to find solutions for that situation. Migrating to other software of course is an option, but this would mean throwing away a lot of investments and spend a lot of money again and (even more of an impact) a vast amount of time to learn handling of the new software. No matter what alternative we choose, our customers won't get the same user experience for their tours as they are used to. 

The list of upcoming issues is much longer. I'll stop it here.

In short: The loss of Panotour Pro (and also the other related Kolor products) is a big impact for us. May you, GoPro, have the ability to avoid that impact. And maybe it will even cost you virtually nothing.

Maybe there is an alternative for GoPro to sunsetting the software. I mean, assume you sell the source code, or make it public domain, or you give it into the hands of one of the former Kolor developers. What would GoPro lose? Maybe nothing. But we users would win so much. If that would not be an impact for GoPro (I don't see a reason why it should be – if it is, please explain so we can better understand), why not go for it and do someting good to your customers?

On the day (well, literally in the same hour as) Kolor announced the closing, I founded that Facebook group for professional Kolor users that worry about the fitire of their businesses. Within a few hours, it already had 200 members. In the meantime, it has almost 300 members and every day there still come new members into the group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/338961996648036/

I am sure the number of worrying Kolor users is much, much larger. 

If it is a matter of money, let us know how much you need and we will try to crowd-fund that.

I am sure, if you agree to some sort of cooperation in that matter, that would raise the currently for Kolor users very much damaged reputation of GoPro significantly! 

In case you, @mariustanya, are the wrong person to address this to, please forward this message to your colleagues who are in charge of such decisions. We can communicate via E-Mail, if you prefer. My address is daniel@hertrich.photo.

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Daniel Hertrich

Panorama photographer from Manching in Germany

Tourist

This is an extremely important subject for both myself and all of my hundreds of real estate clients. Please know that I am one of thousands of people that depend on this software to continue offering the ability to create unique and fully customized interactive tours online.

Hiker

Same situation here. Panotour Pro allows us to create truly unique VR experiences with a simple drag-and-drop gui. We have museum applications and large virtual tours which need basic support and that aren't replaceable by other tools out there. That support could end suddenly tomorrow.

I can't understand that 14 years of development by a team of enthousiast and approachable VR experienced minds has simply being trashed by what is probably an 'accounting' decision.

What strikes me most is that the original developers/company are eager to keep on developing the software, but aren't allowed now due to IP. I don't see any harm for GoPro if Panotour or Autopano could be further developed by this team, what I see is a complete irresponsible action that puts an end on decent developed tools.

Wrong decision IMHO at a momentum moment now that VR is finally taking big steps forward... This is beyond sad and bad... All previous Kolor customers are being forced to look for different solutions and will have to disappoint clients when their tours will not work anymore...

Tourist

The decision to kill Kolor is either cynical or mad. It's a huge backwards eveolutionary step for 360° photography and the VR world.

If GoPro is in financial trouble why not sell Kolor to a third party or it's developers? Surely they could raise the capital?

...or ask the 1000's of professional users if they would be willing to pay more to keep the best 360° stitiching and Virtual Tour software on the market alive? 

I've been using Autopano Giga and Panotour Pro for 8 years - I'd certainly pay a very good price, monthly or annually for this unique software.

I'm feeling 'stitched' myself - by GoPro! We have literally hundreds of paid for client tours that we must contractually keep up to date with new OS. This is a huge amount of work to rebuild all of those customised tours with inferior software!

Sightseer

Hi, I’m Luis from Air Photo Colombia, we have to many aerial projects whit this software we build own company whit kolor support, and fantastic tools to make the 360 photography a complete company.

that morning when we get the news, was an ice cube challenge sensation, we understand that you can close kolor but not in that way we need time to make a transition to other solution.

check all the fantastic works and project that to many people make whit that software.

This tour is Powered by kolor Software.

Tourist

Re: Kolor is closing, what future for Panotour software?

[ Edited ]

While I understand that there may be IP issues with stitching algorithms used in some of Kolor's software that are related to Fusion Studio, I do not think they would apply to Kolor Panotour software. Panotour is the mainstay of many Virtual Tour business and websites. Why cannot GoPro release or resell this back to either ex-Kolor employees or other developers?