Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Kein GPS

[ New ]

Meine GoPro Hero 9 hat kein GPS Signal. Aktiviert ist es, aber es bleibt ausgeraut.

Was kann ich da tun. Software?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen 

M. Müllen 

GoPro

Re: Kein GPS

[ New ]

Hi @millemanni

Do you have the camera up to date?

When doing a recording it is best to turn the camera on from the Mode button first instead d doing it via Quikcapture.

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Schalte die Kamera immer mit der an und aus Taste an. Aber mein GPS ZEICHEN IM DISPLAY ist7DB68B4E-548A-421C-8039-885398E72A16.png974FF139-3F20-469E-8BE6-DB04B79ECACC.png9DD59D34-8FD6-4385-AC90-49B03718887F.png nie als aktiv gekennzeichnet.

Nomad

[ New ]

You need to have the lastest firmware on your camera.

As instructed, you need to ensure you have GPS lock before recording, so dont use quick capture.

Finally........... you need to be outdoors with a clear unobstructed view of the sky.  The shots you have attached show you are very clearly sitting indoors at your PC.  This is why you're not seeing a GPS connection.

Tourist

[ New ]
Auch nach fast einer Stunde unter freiem Himmel erhalte ich kein GPS Signal

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

M. Müllen
Hiker

[ New ]
OK~!
Now~ I'll ask you a question.
So your GoPro Hero9 records GPS information normally? I'm curious about that.
Here's my story.
I upgraded the latest firmware and filmed it outdoors, why can't I get GPS information?
Have I done manual updates? Of course.
I've tested it a few times, but no GPS information came out.
Here in Support Hub, there are a variety of consumer issues that are inconvenient for many reasons.
There are also many complaints about GPS information.
I've also raised the issue.
I am currently in the process of exchanging and waiting for the product.
Your experience is not everything, so I hope you give a helpful answer to the other person.
That's all.
Nomad

[ New ]

So your GoPro Hero9 records GPS information normally? I'm curious about that.

So that's not really a question, it's a statement with a question mark on the end of it.  Did you have something specific you wanted to know?

I upgraded the latest firmware and filmed it outdoors,

So it's not enough to say you upgraded to the latest firmware.  You need to actually state which firmware it is.  What you think is the latest firmware vs what the latest firmware actually is could be two very different things.

why can't I get GPS information?

There could be any number of reasons.

A:  You are not running the latest firmware revision (1.5)

B:  You did not acquire a GPS lock before you started recording.

C:  You have the camera mounted in a 3rd party case or in a media mod which is blocking the signal

D:  You have the camera mounted in a way that GPS is obstructed (under an airplane wing, under the roll bar of an off road vehicle)

E:  You're using the camera under poor GPS conditions (clouds, rain, solar activity, interference etc).

F:  You're trying to acquire GPS data using incorrect software that is incompatible with the Camera (GoPro QuiK for instance)

Here in Support Hub, there are a variety of consumer issues that are inconvenient for many reasons.
There are also many complaints about GPS information.

I know, I was one of the original users in a very long thread who raised the GPS issue and supplied GoPro with footage demonstrating poor GPS lock.  I also worked closely with one of the GoPro Admins in order to ensure people were kept informed of the issue.  This is what lead up to the 1.5 firmware patch being created to correct a GoPro recognized firmware issue with the camera affecting GPS.  

Your experience is not everything, so I hope you give a helpful answer to the other person.

I don't claim my experience is everything, however after the Firmware 1.5 patch, the majority of users I have dealt with were able to acquire GPS signal.  The rest of the users were making simple mistakes such as using Quick Capture, recording without GPS acquisition or trying to use GoPro Quik to add GPS data.  My "experience" is what helps these users correct their mistakes and allows them to properly use their camera's.

Below is a clip I've made adding GPS information to my GoPro Hero 9 using the GoPro app for Android and Telemetry Overlay.  I've also used these on the GoPro Fusion and the GoPro Hero 8 with no issues.  

Nomad

[ New ]

you need to be outdoors with a clear unobstructed view of the sky.  The shots you have attached show you are very clearly sitting indoors at your PC.  This is why you're not seeing a GPS connection.

Auch nach fast einer Stunde unter freiem Himmel erhalte ich kein GPS Signal

Being outdoors for an hour and not acquiring a GPS signal is only part of the advice you were given.  Please see additional information below:

You need to have the lastest firmware on your camera.  Ver 1.5 as of this writing.

As instructed, you need to ensure you have GPS lock before recording, so dont use quick capture.  So it doesn't matter how long you were outdoors, if you started recording before you obtained GPS lock, you will not record any GPS information.

Also, is your GoPro in a case such as a 3rd party Alluminium assembly, or a GoPro Media Mod?  Both of these would block GPS signal.