Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Hiker

Karma drone not pairing

Hi

I cannot pair a Karma drone with a remote.

I already contacted customer care and went through all the troubleshooting steps.

My problem is that I don't have proof of purchase and even if I have one, it is over a year ago.

Gopro agent said GoPro cannot do anything because its warranty has expired and cannot replace my drone.

After this pairing problem, I googled "Karma pairing problem", and I found lots of Karma owners are having the same problem. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0XAbxk-NaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCbYbUosY94

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P1WdC6W3Tg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6APEC7ZpgNs

Less than a minute, I can find 4 different youtube videos showing the same problem.

To me, it looks like it is Karma's manufacturer defect, but GoPro refuses to do anything because it is over a year old.

Yes I have the latest software for the remote, stabilizer, and Hero. I couldn't update my drone because IT DOESN'T PAIR.

What are my options? other than “contacting customer service” or “sorry, cannot help you. Your warranty has expired”.

I can't get my GoPro Karma drone top pair with the controller. One day it just wouldn't connect. I've only flew this thing a handful of times. GoPro and C...
This is the second video in the pairing issue after swapping out batteries and stabilizers as requested by technical support.
2nd video as requested by gopro showing karama drone unable to pair to controller and not able to power off.
Highlighted
Backpacker

Re: Karma drone not pairing

I'm in the same boat, mine was a week out of warranty when it happened so basically a paperweight now

Highlighted
Tourist

Same thing on my Karma...

Will not pair.

Lights are flashing on the Karma but the remote does not see it.

Also the gimble does not initialise.

I was trying to use it yesterday after several months.

Came up the the compas interferance issue.

So I moved to a new location, turned Karma off then on.

Then nothing. No gimble init. Camera does not power up.

All nav lights on.

Will not switch off without removing the battery.

Updated the remote sw and camera manually.

But as you say, cannot update the drone because no connection.

No diagnostics, no nothing.

My wife paid $1900 for this thing 2 years ago thinking she was getting the bees knees.

I have had nothing but trouble and this thing with intermittant camera connections and poor radio range.

Ofcourse GoPro have washed their hands of everyone now since they 'exited the business'.

Well done GoPro. I will never buy another of your products.

Mark Hamester

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

I have also gone through all of the steps, phone calls, and had a new stabilizer (shell) sent to no avail and no movement in the gimble. As everyone states: just blinking lights during the so-called pairing mode, can't turn off without removing the battery and just a paper weight. 

You know GoPro, I'm a stock owner even despite these issues I, myself and these other Karma owners have had but after returning to find your customer care associates could actually care less (giving us all the same answers over and over not even researching the threads) and by NO MEANS seeking TRUE answers for those of us that believed the KARMA was INCREDIBLY versatile to at least give us the the functionality of our large purchase back - I will gladly sell my shares at a loss. GoPro washed their hands of the Karma drone community and buyers and you can bet the same will be done on our end.

Highlighted
Tourist

I have the same issue, Drone just light up with solid lights and then nothing, doesn't initzializing the stabalizer and doesn't start the camera. If trying to go into pairing mode (even after totally resetting the controller) the drone just stands there blinking but won't pairing with the controller.

Highlighted
Tourist

SAME HERE!!!

Everything was working fine when I used it a few months ago. Pulled it out recently and it won't connect.  Drone flashes in pairing mode and controller says "pairing", but they never find each other.  Literally nothing has changed since last use.  

Ive tried a hard reset on the controller and different drone batteries.  I chatted with GoPro customer support and was basically told "Well, you've done everything to troubleshoot and there is still a problem. Try replacing the controller or the drone"

THANKS GOPRO! Yes I'll just shell out another $500 because your stupid product stopped working completely randomly, for no reason, while it was securely stored in a closet.

Hate this company and officially leaving the GoPro community. Too bad I can't even sell this drone anymore!

Highlighted
Tourist

[ Edited ]

Any controller that is configured with WiFi automatically updates when it's connected to the Internet.  It's obviousl at this point that the automatic update feature in the GoPro Controller is breaking Karma Drones by the thousands.  The Internet is awash with report after report that "it worked a week ago, I did an update and now it doesn't work."  The exact same thing happened to me.    These drones are way too expensive to have to throw them away because GoPro pushed out a patch that broke them.  Customer Service says you're out of warranty despite the fact that their patch is the source of the problem.  

Highlighted
Tourist

Add me to the list of people with this issue.