Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Hiker

Kan inte spela Slow Motion filer i datorn?

[ New ]
Slow Motion video recorded with Hero 9 is played back at real speed in the computer and not in Slow motion. I want to be able to see it in Slow Motion and be able to share the file on eg FaceBook in Slow Motion. In the camera I can see Slow Motion. Quick does not display the files and neither do 5K files. Quick does not upload these files to the cloud. How should I do?

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Kan inte spela Slow Motion filer i datorn?

[ New ]

Quik is discontinued software and hasn't been updated in over 2 years at this point.  Ergo it is not compatible with the GoPro Hero 8 or GoPro Hero 9 as these cameras were produced after Quik had stopped been updated.

When you record a slow motion video, all you are doing is increasing the amount of frames recorded.  So if the average recording is 30 frames per second and you record a 10 second clip, you are recording a total of 300 frames.  If you want to record at 2x slow motion, you are doubling the amount of frames created.  So if the recording is 60 frames per second and you record a 10 second clip, you are recording a total of 600 frames.

However, high frame rate video's work the exact same way.  So if you record a 10 second clip and want nice motion blur in it, it records at 30FPS.  If you record a 10 second clip but want it to look sharp and crisp, it records at 60FPS or higher depending on your selection.

Now when you go to play this back, your computer has no idea whether you are trying to play back a slow motion video or a high frame rate video as both are the exact same.  Therefore when you play back your video, it's trying to speed the clip up so it matches the original 10 seconds recorded and not the 30FPS rule.

So when you record a slow motion video, you need to insert it into a video editor and then adjust the speed to get slow motion.  So a 60FPS video lasting 10 seconds, you would reduce the speed by 50% to make a slow motion 30FPS video lasting 20 seconds.  This is how you watch a slow motion video.

The GoPro app on your mobile device will actually do this automatically as when you record the video on your camera and select slow motion, it inserts a piece of meta data to indicate it's a slow motion video.  In turn the GoPro app see's this data and knows that you're trying to playback and edit slow motion video as opposed to a high frame rate video.

On your PC however, you need to use a video editor to achieve this same effect.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

Re: Kan inte spela Slow Motion filer i datorn?

[ New ]

Quik is discontinued software and hasn't been updated in over 2 years at this point.  Ergo it is not compatible with the GoPro Hero 8 or GoPro Hero 9 as these cameras were produced after Quik had stopped been updated.

When you record a slow motion video, all you are doing is increasing the amount of frames recorded.  So if the average recording is 30 frames per second and you record a 10 second clip, you are recording a total of 300 frames.  If you want to record at 2x slow motion, you are doubling the amount of frames created.  So if the recording is 60 frames per second and you record a 10 second clip, you are recording a total of 600 frames.

However, high frame rate video's work the exact same way.  So if you record a 10 second clip and want nice motion blur in it, it records at 30FPS.  If you record a 10 second clip but want it to look sharp and crisp, it records at 60FPS or higher depending on your selection.

Now when you go to play this back, your computer has no idea whether you are trying to play back a slow motion video or a high frame rate video as both are the exact same.  Therefore when you play back your video, it's trying to speed the clip up so it matches the original 10 seconds recorded and not the 30FPS rule.

So when you record a slow motion video, you need to insert it into a video editor and then adjust the speed to get slow motion.  So a 60FPS video lasting 10 seconds, you would reduce the speed by 50% to make a slow motion 30FPS video lasting 20 seconds.  This is how you watch a slow motion video.

The GoPro app on your mobile device will actually do this automatically as when you record the video on your camera and select slow motion, it inserts a piece of meta data to indicate it's a slow motion video.  In turn the GoPro app see's this data and knows that you're trying to playback and edit slow motion video as opposed to a high frame rate video.

On your PC however, you need to use a video editor to achieve this same effect.

Hiker

Re: Kan inte spela Slow Motion filer jagdd?

[ New ]

Thanks for the great answer!
Is there any other program i can use instead of Quick?
Nomad

Re: Kan inte spela Slow Motion filer jagdd?

[ New ]

DaVinci Resolve is a professional editor and it's free of charge.  You may want to give that a go as not only can you adjust the speed of your video, but you can also professionaly color grade it and edit it too.