Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Just bought hero 5 session firmware update has screwed it up

[ New ]

I had a similar problem except my Hero5session.  It would not shut off or reset,... top button, bottom, both, nothing.  Blinking red LEDs and error message on screen.  I pulled the SDcard (non GoPro listed) and reformated on mac, copy and pasted download,... nothing.   I decided to use the SD card from my Hero 5 black (GoPro listed card).  I copied and pasted the file with the downloaded firmware.  Inserted in to the Session while blinkimg,  Reset using the bottom button and it worked.   YOU MUST USE A GOPRO LISTED SD CARD!  it does make a difference.  This entire process took most of my day.  Finding this thread helped! 

Anonymous

[ New ]

It worked fine to me, thank you very much.

Anonymous

[ New ]

HI GoPro Team,

I really love the product Hero 5 session, but after the firmware update mine GoPro stopped working. Now it’s not turning on. Don’t know what need to do. I tried support center, calling option. Now I feels tired and feels that the I lost the money I spend for camera.

Also, uploaded a video to get help

https://youtu.be/WVjlbDv-UUI

I kindly request someone to help me on this situation.

Thanks

GoPro hero 5 session not turning on, Only red LED blinking. please help if have any idea about how to resolve this issue.
Sightseer

[ New ]

This is the only thing that worked for me. Thanks a ton !!

Anonymous

[ New ]
Hey all had the same problem and followed the instructions on the website to put the Update files on the SD card although my unzip program WinRar extracted 3 separate files not an Update folder like the website shows. Not sure you have to do this but I created an Update folder and put the three extracted folders in it. I then inserted the SD card into my Hero5 Session and it went from flashing the 1/2 to 2/2 but still didn’t work. I ended up removing and reinserting the SD card probably 5 times (each time after it appeared to be stuck) It finally worked and finished the update. All I can say is cheers to Josh for posting the solution up above. Thanks!
Tourist

[ New ]

Hi

I also share my experience, had the same problem starting from October 2017 and finally today in June 2018 it was fixed.

Since my gopro came without an sd-card, I just bought first that I could (Kingston) and that was it. At some moment I decided to install phone app and it asked for an update, then I got the same problem as described in the issue.

Initially, it hanged on the first step, and then I tried manual update and then it hanged on the second, of course it was very frustrating.

One of the frustrating moments was that I was at an internship in Taiwan with tons of (possible) beautiful videos I could have taken and instead I obtained a device that was bricked. I don't know if it would be possible to come back there in the nearest future.

I tried varieties of different combinations and advice that I found in this thread but nothing worked. Eventually, in June, I ordered at ebay one of the sd-cards listed on the list of supported cards for this particular model, see the table

https://gopro.com/help/articles/Block/microSD-Card-Considerations

I ordered SanDisk 32GB, V30 UHS-I U3

During these several months, until I purchased the new card, the camera was just lying somewhere uncharged, but after connecting it to my laptop, it started to launch the update again. And miracle - after 5 or 10 minutes or so, it relaunched the process,

- it tried to install the step 2

- then, it returned to the step 1

- then, it returned to the step 2 again

- and finally the checkmark

So, to whoever is struggling with the same problem, just try to order a new sd-card which is supported and try to repeat the whole process. I hope this will work for you too. Good luck

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for posting to share the solution that worked for you, @granddive55557. Great to know that you are now, finally, able to use your camera. Stay stoked, and enjoy using your GoPro! Cheers!