Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Just bought hero 5 session firmware update has screwed it up

[ New ]

Gutted for you James.  I got another 5 session direct from Gopro website, and was wary of updating the firmware.  Luckily it worked without a hitch with this second camera and it's been all good since then.

I hope you either get this one sorted, or get another one that does work.

Just remember this to keep your spirits up.  At least you're not a massive douche who comes on message boards to say 'Firmware updates are great' :)

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm in the exact same situation as james1casey3 Sending it back to the retailer first thing tomorrow. Such a dissapointment.

Anonymous

[ New ]
I had to sign in to give this guy a kudo. I juat encountered the exact same problem. Also freaked out since I bought a preowned gopro. However, when you see the "no entry" sign during the update, hold the 2 buttons and it will restart, and automically install the update again. Will need to keep restarting the device multiple times if it still shows the no entry sign. You will know when the device finished updating: a "check" mark will show on the screen. all the best
Anonymous

[ New ]

Thankyou Sir ! you have saved me from alot of frustration .. its back to normal and updated. Thanks :)

"

I had the same problem, hero 5 session stuck in the posted icon for long time, but finally got the update finished, this is what I did:

1) Hold the two buttons at the same time till the screen is off

2) Press the back button once, screen will now display 2/2 -> |O| which I think it means it is finishing the step two of the upgrade

3) I connected the usb cable so it can charge, just in case it runs out of battery because the hero 5 was stuck on the error icon for almost 1 hour

After few minutes it finished the update.

The docs on upgrade says the hero5 will restart many times during the upgrade, I think one of this restarts fails and it gets stuck, so you need to manually restart the hero5 by pressing simultaneously the two buttons (similar to iphone).

Hope this helps someone.

PS. I was about to try the manual update and so remove the microSD while it was stuck, if I would have done that maybe It will be screwed up permanently. So first try everything possible without removing the microSD card, use the manual update as last resource."

Tourist

[ New ]

Just to say huge thanks, got my Hero5 session today, Capture app update fails, manual update failed on step 1/2, both buttons and back button and it skipped to 2/2 and has just completed with a tick.

I was just about to get back in the car to return this so saved me the hassle !

I do feel gopro have lost the plot, why not just either release firmware that works (shouldn't be hard on a new out of the box camera updating from v.01 to latest), or at the least include the hold both buttons in instructions to save waiting a week for support to get back to you !!

Sightseer

[ New ]
You are a freakin champ. Worked a charm.
Anonymous

[ New ]

In my case Quik did not managed to upload correctly files on SD card. 

So I did manual update (with the same SD card) and it worked perfectly.

Camera restarted 3 times and no extra resets needed.

But GoPro should work on their Quik and Capture software - errors and "Can't connect" are apearing in routine way.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Just 2 minutes ago I had the same problem to complain about! I Solved it maybe by luck, but here are the EXACT steps I did:

(Like some other users my 14-digits serial number was not recognized to get a manual update file)

1. Device connected successfully to quick for desktop and started firmware update

2. Quick for desktop said the update was finished, but Hero 5 Session stucked in "1/2 -> O"

3. After about 5 minutes I pushed both camera buttons simultaniously to switch off display - started it again with record button - still 1/2 -> O

4. removed usb cable and sd card, switched off camera again, pushed back in sd card and with click on record button display showed 2/2 -> O

5. plugged usb cable into camera, rebooted camera, still showing 2/2 -> O

6. Removed sd card again, switched off camera, pushed back in sd card, pushed record button and display showed 2/2 -> O

7. After about 5 minutes camera gave me "installation finished" and I#m on FW 2.00 now with option to format sd card and delete files directly from cam

Hope this helps people unlucky as me. Buying an expensive action cam and not being able to use it after unboxing and updating :(