Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Anonymous

Re: Just bought hero 5 session firmware update has screwed it up

[ New ]

It's not that I didn't want help with the issue Josh, but I definitely didn't need someone to start off with 'firmware updates are great' and then try to explain how to manually update, which obviously won't work if the camera is unresponsive, like I've said.

Anonymous

[ New ]

Thanks.  Turns out my problem was the SD card. I repurposed a card that was in a raspberry Pi and apparently it reduced a 32G card down to 239 Mb.  After reformatting the camera works now. 

Anonymous

[ New ]
Did they give you a solution? I had the same problem, they told me it was the Sd card and buy a new SD. Now the camera does not even turn on.
Anonymous

[ New ]

Yes, they said it was 'bricked' and that there was no way of getting it to work.  Returned to retailed for full refund and have bought one through GoPro online store since.  All updated and working fine now.

Anonymous

[ New ]

It's nothing to do with the SD card by the way.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I had the same problem, hero 5 session stuck in the posted icon for long time, but finally got the update finished, this is what I did:

1) Hold the two buttons at the same time till the screen is off

2) Press the back button once, screen will now display 2/2 -> |O| which I think it means it is finishing the step two of the upgrade

3) I connected the usb cable so it can charge, just in case it runs out of battery because the hero 5 was stuck on the error icon for almost 1 hour

After few minutes it finished the update.

The docs on upgrade says the hero5 will restart many times during the upgrade, I think one of this restarts fails and it gets stuck, so you need to manually restart the hero5 by pressing simultaneously the two buttons (similar to iphone).

Hope this helps someone.

PS. I was about to try the manual update and so remove the microSD while it was stuck, if I would have done that maybe It will be screwed up permanently. So first try everything possible without removing the microSD card, use the manual update as last resource.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I'm on my second camera and have had the same issue with both of them. It seems to get hung up on the install of 2/2. Support said that it 'could be' the card I'm using (Sandisk Ultra 32GB). I'm going to try a different card, but I have a feeling that it's not the card and it may be permanently stuck in this mode now which is what happened with the first one. If I can't get it to work, I'll return the camera for a refund - not worth the aggravation.

Anonymous

[ New ]

I've also had my camera turn into a useless flashing red brick with a no entry sign on it hanging due to an awesome 'great' firmware update.. which if I don't fix by tommorow morning when we leave will ruin filming underwater snorkelling on a once in a lifetime holiday in indonesia which I'll probably never do again.

I've had never ending problems with the Go Pro 5 Session I bought. I opened the box and found no drivers, no cd, no software or anything provided and assumed it was plug and play. It wasn't. I got "USB Device not recognized" even after visiting Go Pro's website and downloading every app from Quik to Studio I still got nothing. Then I tried their tech support, which got me no-where. I got questions like have I plugged it in properly, have I tried turning it on and off- questions I know they have to ask, but after narrowing down and going through the entire list which turned out to be pretty much common sense and proved useless, I just got no response from their tech support at all. Then, out of the blue after turning it on and off via the top circle record button and the bottom button about 50 times and unplugging and plugging the USB in and out it opened like it was plug & play. Once. Then, for the last two weeks since it first miraculously recognized it, in order to get it to open again you need to unplug and plug it in and turn it off and on via both buttons dozens of times and just hope for the best. It overheated and turned off one day in normal temperature and felt like it was literally going to catch fire and turned off. So... then I saw the 'great' firmware that Josh is talking about. Then I clicked on it, in the hope I wouldn't have to have go pro to computer conneting and disconnecting for half an hour to get it to respond. Instead, what I got was what you described which after searching the internet and their website for nearly 2 hours I found that  1/2 --> [O]   looking symbol and the other is like a non smoking sign then -->[O]  means the firmware update has failed. So all I need now is a MICRO SD CARD READER. Great. Bravo guys. Thanks for telling me that after all that effort trying to get it working, your 'great' firmware update would destroy the camera's ability to work until I can do the update manually- and to do that I need a micro sd card reader. Yeah the box definitely said that I require a micro sd card reader after spending nearly £500 on a small cube with red lights and some accessories for it.
Needless to say after seeing how their tech support operate I will be returning this back to the shop, pretty peed off for a refund when I get home.