Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Just after the update hero9 back screen not working

[ New ]
I just update the camera as it’s keep messaging me to update ! Just after that my back screen not turning on! It was all good before that even minutes earlier the update!! Anyone can help please .
GoPro

Re: Just after the update hero9 back screen not working

[ New ]

Hello @nimblecree4325. Sorry to hear about the trouble. You may try to manually reinstall the firmware update of the camera as it can help correct any errors with the current software installation. Using an SD card adapter, connect your microSD card to your computer and follow the Manual Update instructions specified in this article: https://community.gopro.com/t5/en/How-to-Update-GoPro-Cameras/ta-p/394229

If the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks bit but the kink seems ot giving me the info. There is a option to manual update and which I did through the app and having these trouble!!
EF55C294-04EB-4B9C-AA22-8657EC3803A7.png
Tourist

[ New ]

I have the exact same problem. Bought my GoPro 2 weeks ago, used it for 2 weeks... downloaded / updated the firmware this morning using the iPhone app... restarted and now the back / LCD screen doesn't turn on at all.  I chatted with support for 2 hours and they had me manually install the update which I downloaded here:

https://device-firmware.gp-static.com/55/137d68e63957d90ba0b46803228342f8011dbc17/HD9.01/camera_fw/0...

and then installed by coping the resulting "UPDATE" folder to my SD card, which after a couple tries did take but didn't fix the problem.  I'm left with a 2 week old GoPro that has a non-functioning LCD screen. 

iPhone app --> Camera Preferences says I'm running 01.60.00 if that helps.  

Since the update (https://community.gopro.com/t5/Cameras/GoPro-Hero-9-Firmware-Update-Available/m-p/1152076) supposedly addressed TouchScreen issues, ie:

"Improves touch-screen performance in menus and settings"

I'd put money on the firmware update being the issue as 1) that's the only thing that's changed for me since this morning and b) the problem is that the touchscreen isn't displaying anything at all.  

Happy to chat / phone with someone in support if you need help raising this up as a serious / real issue.  

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks for the details. Now how can we resolve this ! It’s really annoying me ..just this update ruin my camera ..it was all good before !!
GoPro

[ New ]

@nimblecree4325, if the issue persists after going through the suggested troubleshooting steps, our Support team will be able to assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Tourist

[ New ]
Yesterday I updated my gopro 9 via an app on my phone and my main screen stopped working. I tried to install an earlier version of the firmware. The firmware was installed, but the screen did not work. Then I updated again via phone to firmware 01.60.00. But that didn't solve my screen problem. Very upset that I bought a GoPro. I have a vacation now and I have such problems.
Tourist

[ New ]

Yesterday I updated my gopro 9 via an app on my phone and my main screen stopped working. I tried to install an earlier version of the firmware. The firmware was installed, but the screen did not work. Then I updated again via phone to firmware 01.60.00. But that didn't solve my screen problem. Very upset that I bought a GoPro. I have a vacation now and I have such problems.

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @nimblecree4325 and @nicecliff6301. To verify, were your HERO9 Black cameras updated through the Quik App? If so, try performing a manual update instead. To do this, a computer and an SD card adapter will be needed. 

On a computer browser, 

1. Visit https://community.gopro.com/
  2. Once on the page, navigate through the right-side menu and select "GoPro Resources". 
  3. Choose "Product Updates."
  4. Choose HERO9 Black. 
  5. Proceed with the prompts/instructions. 

Let us know how it goes. Thanks!

GoPro

[ New ]

Hello, @aaronj5834. If you have already gone through the steps above and have made sure that your SD card is installed correctly and the issue remains, it would be best to continue working with our Support Team. They will assist you with further troubleshooting. When you connect back with them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs, you may use the case number you were given for easy reference. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]
Thanks ! But why we have to go through this hassle for no reason ! It was working fine … who asks for the update anyways ..it’s freaky disappointing and I’m pissed !
Backpacker

[ New ]

Actually lots of people asked for the update due to it fixing issues with the camera.  The back screen issue not working seems to be cropping up a good bit, I've had it once or twice on my hero 8 but managed to fix it.  Here's what I suggest:

1  Perform a manual firmware update of the camera

2: Remove the battery from the camera and put it back in after 10 seconds.

3:  Hold down the side mode/power button for 10 seconds to initiate a reboot.

See if any of the above work.  If not, then I'd contact GoPro support and see if you can get a warranty replacement.

Tourist

[ New ]
Tourist

[ New ]
Hey, after going to the page it shows n tell you to update through app! Which we already did and it created the blunder ..on the page no instruction how to do it with sd card on laptop ! How to do ?
0254A3CF-12A1-4510-9547-67A9813E75E0.png
Tourist

[ New ]
Hey, how to Perform a manual firmware update of the camera in laptop through sd card …in the website no such instructions or manual couldn’t find out!
Tourist

[ New ]
Hey, I think I got it …but how to download the update folder to my computer ! Imean from where to download to
Tourist

[ New ]
After a long search I downloaded the update to laptop and copy the download folder to sd card as per the product update page instruction but it’s still not turning n my back screen!!!! Very upset
GoPro

[ New ]

@nimblecree4325, sorry to hear about the trouble. Please contact our Support Team so we can assist you further in resolving this. You may reach out to them through https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs to initiate a callback request or chat with one of the representatives.

Tourist

[ New ]

is there any update on what has happened to peoples H9B's after updating? i did the manual firmware install via computer for the second time (first time was through the app) and it has not fixed the issue. is there a way to flash back to previous firmware?

Tourist

[ New ]
cant figure out how to edit, must note I just upgraded to V1.6 firmware
Tourist

[ New ]

It won't help. My opinion is that at the time of the update, the display chip overheats and breaks. It needs to be replaced. The problem is not solved by changing the firmware.

Tourist

[ New ]

yes I see that. I found the previous firmware online, and that did not help. I see some cameras take it, and some have the black screen, even fresh out of the box. Does this mean when i get a replacement (since I am under <1 year old [warranty], and paid subscription) theres a chance I upgrade firmware and it burns the screen chip out anyways?

Backpacker

[ New ]

It's odd that this is happening to some people and not to others.  

I have had the "black screen of death" on occasion on my GoPro Hero 8 and 9, this was normally related to the "red light" staying on after it wasn't hooked up to a proper charger.  I would pull the battery to turn off the red light and upon restart, the rear screen would not turn on.  I did manage to reactivate the screen though by resetting the camera (holding down the side mode button for 10 seconds), restarting, pulling the battery and resetting again.  It did not require reuploading firmware or downgrading.

If you cannot get your display working again and your GoPro is under 1 year old, then more than likely you are entitled to a warranty replacement.  I would suggest you contact GoPro ASAP to have your camera replace if cannot get your display working again.

Tourist

[ New ]

yes, chatt'd up support first thing this morning. I have to send it in for replacement.

Tourist

[ New ]

The problem is not always solvable. For example, gopro 9 was presented to me for the New Year. And I have no invoices for the device. Although it is clear that not even a year has passed since the release of gopro. But the gopro company refused to repair it.

Backpacker

[ New ]
Better business bureau should be contacted. Also try the local TV station. They love filler pieces.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @nicecliff6301

We are not able to pull up a case using the email address on your Hub profile.

Can we have the case number from the last time you have reached out to Support?

Thanks!

Ej