Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Tourist
Accepted Solution

Jumpy Timelapse

Hello!

I am a bit lost with the quality of Photo Timelapse on my new GoPro 7. Whatever I have tried, the result is still very "jumpy". There is very visible vertical movement, altough the GoPro was properly fixed on very stable tripod. You can see the video test here:

https://vimeo.com/298981333/fed08d5f16

There is also some flickering visible, but its qutie logic due to fluorescent tubes in the office. What troubles mi is the Up and Down movements... The mode is Photo Timelapse and I have tried different intervals from 2s to 20s. Protunes is ON.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Luk

This is "KanclTimelaps" by TheBlackFilm on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer

Re: Jumpy Timelapse

Look through the individual photo files one after another (instead of compiling them) and see if there is noticeable movement. If not, it has something to do with the way you are compiling the photos into a time lapse.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Nomad

Hi, maybe tripod is stable but what about floor ? If its the same floor for couple of rooms and someone is moving just behind wall and doing this small moves. Maybe the same floor board.. ? I didnt notice with my GP7BH
Highlighted
Nomad

BTW: Definitely is something spooky with your office, look at your keyboard which is moving up ;). Other: airflow, traffic street vibrations, speaker ?>? >?
Highlighted
Tourist

Thank for the ideas, but its concrete building, as steady as possible. Also, I have tried the same test at home as well with same poor resault. And I live in Prague, Europe.  Earthquakes are very rare in here...:-) 

Highlighted
GoPro

Hello @lukaacutes408

Is the issue observed with playback on camera? What about in other media players? Is the effect the same even with different resolutions on the time lapse photos? Were you able to check if the same effect happens with different Protune settings? What about in a different environment? We did a sample photo time lapse at 5s interval, with Protune On but we were not able to observe the issue. Was the video that you submitted through the link an edited one (fast forwarded)? A sample raw file would be helpful. 

Thanks, 
Marius

Highlighted
Tourist

Hello,

tahanks for the effort!

Time Lapse Photo doesnt playback the timelapse in the camera. I imported it in adobe after effects and made the timelapse. 

Other madia players behave the same. The position change is even visible when you skip between the pictures in windows photo viewer. 

Time Lapse Photo mode alows to set only one resolution: 12MP .

Different protune setings - same result

Different enviroment  - same result

When I shoot in Time Lapse Video mode in same location and with the same setup, there is no problem at all. The footage is stabile. 

To me it appears as the camera has stabilization function turned ON and its "overstabilizing". But in the menu in Time Lapse Photo mode I cant see any posibility to control stabilization. To be sure I turned of stabilization in all others modes but with no improvement. 

Here is the link with test raw data - pictures from Photo Mode and video from Video Mode. 

https://we.tl/t-dYCdq4KMev

Luk

Highlighted
Explorer

Look through the individual photo files one after another (instead of compiling them) and see if there is noticeable movement. If not, it has something to do with the way you are compiling the photos into a time lapse.
Highlighted
Tourist

The position change is even visible when you skip between the pictures in windows photo viewer.