Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Jumpy Time Lapse Photo Mode

[ New ]

Hi All,

I use my 7 black mostly for the time lapse photo (or night lapse photo) mode in environments where a DSLR isn't practical. 

Even though the gopro is on a very heavy tripod, there seems to be a noticable (but consistent) vertical shift up one in every 30 frames or so - enough to make the lapse seem jumpy. It's nothing to do with location (seems to happen at any location) or the tripod as I tested a DSLR lapse immediately after my last gopro one and there was no such effect. It happens regardless of wide/linear setting and also happens with a bit of digital zoom in. Interestingly it does not happen in timelapse video mode. 

My best guess is it's something to do with the image stabilisation, but I can't figure out how to disable it to test. 

Running latest FW. Any suggestions appreciated. 

Tourist

Re: Jumpy Time Lapse Photo Mode

[ New ]

I have attached a cropped example of how it is moving the whole frame, I get about 20 more pixels down the bottom and 20 off the top. Only ever for 1 frame, it happens once every 7-12 frames. 

goproissue.jpg
GoPro

[ New ]

Hello @dave777. Video stabilization is on by default, but you can turn it off following these steps: From the Video screen, tap the settings, then tap Stabilization. This applies only to video mode though. If you have not done it yet, and to further isolate the issue, try running a manual update (if your camera was not updated manually to its current firmware). There are steps here that you may refer to. Make sure as well that you are using a recommended SD cards like one on this list. Let us know how it works out. Thanks!

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi - I have tried a manual update however the situation is the same - i've noticed it actually gets worse the warmer the camera gets. I contacted gopro support and they have referred it on for further investigation, they seem to think its a firmware problem rather than a fault with my camera. However I feel like there would be more reports of this happening if it was firmware.

GoPro

[ New ]

Thank you for the update, @dave777. Good to know that case was attended and forwarded for investigation. The camera team would then be able to investigate further and see if the issue can be replicated and if there would be similar cases. Please let us know what you find out. It would be a great help for other who might be having similar issues. We'll also keep you posted once we get an update from the team. Best regards!

Tourist

[ New ]
Hello, i have same problem with Hero 7 BLACK. i tried EVERYTHING, turning on/off all options, soft update, hard update. NOTHING. Tried with hero 6 black and its all good, but with 7 black its JUMPY. https://www5.zippyshare.com/v/dnFeetFD/file.html he's a preview of what im talking about. ITS REALLY FRUSTRATING
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @greensand18383

Thank you for sharing the file.

What SD card are you using?

Do you still remember the settings used when this was taken?

Did you have ProTune turned on?

Which program did you use to stitch the photos together?

Thanks!

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

SD card is 128GB Evo Plus Samsung, settings are in photo that i attached to post, but they dont really affect this issue - i tried a lot of diffrent settings. I use after Effects for making video from those photos, but the issue isnt related to this, when i play it in any picture viewer u can tell that the frames arent the same.

triend on hero 6 with same settings and it goes well

Bez-nazwy-1.jpg
Tourist

[ New ]
Hello, i bought second hero 7 black and no problem here. Using same settings, same sd card etc. same firmware version.
GoPro

[ New ]

Hi @greensand18383

Thank you for going through the steps in isolating where the trouble is.

Do reach out to our Support Team to get this issue addressed.

Please have your camera's serial number and proof of purchase ready.

You may contact them by phone or chat. https://gopro.com/help/ContactUs  

Regards,

Ej

Tourist

[ New ]

Hi All,

So after opening a case by phoning go pro support, it took couple of weeks of back and forth uploading examples and proving I wasn't an idiot (they wanted photos to prove it was on a tripod etc), they agreed to replace the entire camera.

Sadly it took over 3 weeks to ship me a replacement camera after I posted in my old one and only after calling them every few days for an update (they kept saying "the warehouse has no stock, we'll request an update), it wasn't until I started to demand a refund did they finally manage to find a replacement to send to me - the entire "support" process has left quite a sour taste in my mouth.

I've taken a few lapses and so far this new camera does not seem to have the same issue, so fingers crossed.