Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Tourist

Jumpy Hero 8 Footage

[ New ]

I was recording some footage of me on my mountain bike. I watched the footage and saw it was very jerky. I was recording in 4k, 30FPS, and high stabilization. I have a San disk extreme 256gb. I have recorded many videos before this one and have never had this problem. I contacted GoPro customer service, they told me to manually update the firmware which I did, and the footage I recorded after updating the firmware turned out fine. But I am wondering how I can take this footage, and somehow make it normal. The jumpiness of the video doesn't start until around 4 minutes into the video. I have looked up tutorials, chated with Gopro multiple times, and still haven't found an answer. I have plenty of video Softwares, and I wouldn't even mind spending some money to repair the footage. I'm just looking for answers.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt_0RWjIzTA&t=365s

Accepted Solutions
Nomad

Re: Jumpy Hero 8 Footage

[ New ]

That's not jumpy or shakey footage.  This is caused by what appears to be an EIS buffering issue.  Although it's hard to pinpoint the exact nature (is it a video write failure in the 4GB used for EIS or is a write error to the SD card?) the fact is there's very little that can be done to fix this in post.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Nomad

[ New ]

That's not jumpy or shakey footage.  This is caused by what appears to be an EIS buffering issue.  Although it's hard to pinpoint the exact nature (is it a video write failure in the 4GB used for EIS or is a write error to the SD card?) the fact is there's very little that can be done to fix this in post.

Tourist

[ New ]

Do you think I could pay someone to fix it?

Nomad

[ New ]

I would contact GoPro support directly and ask for an RMA for the camera so you can get a replacement camera.

As for "fixing the footage".  If you were to pay someone by the hour to go through the footage, remove the duplicate frames, put them in order, you would probably end up paying quite a substantial bill for footage that would look terrible (even in the right order you would be then missing frames or have long pauses between frames due to duplication).

Tourist

[ New ]
Ok, at this point I have practically given up on repairing the footage. I'm just thankful this has been the only video it happened on. But if you know a software that can hopefully repair the video, then don't be afraid to send it to me. But anyway, thank you for your help.
Nomad

[ New ]

Record without stabilizing the camera and then stabilize with ReelSteady ... maybe use an extra gimbal.