Ask a Question
GoPro Support Hub Ask a question. Share an answer. Find a solution. Stay stoked.
Announcements
Is your GoPro gear up to date? Check to see If it is on our Update page.
Cameras
Highlighted
Adventurer

Re: Jitter in photo time-lapse sequence

@irishmanpdx   MY suggestion is to try one on your Hero 7 ,  and  what I think is happening on the FF (fixed focus) its adjusting, firmware  and or hardware  I have a few photos and the leaves are moving, it will take  like 15 mph winds  to move it and a wet and waxed floor.    I thought maybe the   water IOS or software EIS  comes to play but more like fixed focus if asked

Highlighted
Hiker

My last test was with AE Lock. I wonder if we have a focus lock setting?

Software EIS should be on with time warp, but with simple photos taken i would expect this camera to be solid.

I am surprised that nobody noticed this before. Only very few people are trying 5s intervals...?

Highlighted
Nomad

Since the GoPro uses a fix focused lens, there is going to be no focus lock as there is no adjustable focus.  The only way this image can move about if the tripod is well and truely secured, is if the photo's were shot with the timewarp setting turned on instead of timelapse.  Then there would be some digital cropping of the image and any time something moved into frame or the leaves on the plant moved, the camera would adjust the crop to keep the image stable.

Since this is a timelapse setting (as evidenced by the individual pictures taken) there should be no stabiliztion added and thus no reframing of the shot.

So next up would be to give the exact settings that you're using for this shot so we can do the following:

A:  See if this is something that happens with other people's camera's

B:  See if we can replicate the issue and what could cause such an issue if it's not the camera.

Highlighted
Hiker

A: A friend told me he can see the same issue. (Even though i did not get the files from him.)

B: My settings: TIMELAPSE PHOTO, with 5s Interval, AE Lock, Manual WB set to 5500, 

in my case i have the camera physically mounted to a workbench, there is no way that it can move.

I do not change the lighting conditions. I can share a video, but this forum doesn't allow video attachements.

All the shots with the offset issue show always exactly 2 pixels offset. ProTunes on/off does not make a difference.

I tested firmware 1.90 and 1.70

Highlighted
Adventurer

If one does not test out but wants to write, then that simply won;t be the answer they want to hear, they want confirmation from others testing.  And that is where the trouble lies.

GoPro never came in to offer their side. silience is what GoPro is about when issues like this comes about they are baffled.  and will direct to the Customer service, and if the camera is out of warranty good luck.

Now this is what I found out.  Like to know Just ask.

Fish.

I'll come back with the Resolution and its not the Answer you want to hear I mentioned before I believe if  not then stay tuned.

Highlighted
Hiker

Allright, i tested settings wide and linear, and both settings show the issue. I need somebody to try this on their camera.

Is anybody willing to do that? Just Timelapse Photo with 5s interval. 

If i can't attach a video here, i can make one on YouTube to show how awful this jitter of the image looks like?!

Highlighted
Adventurer

Highlighted
Hiker

[ Edited ]

Mine looks a little different. I explain the settings in the video here (the sample is at 03:00 minutes):

Position jitter of the whole image. When taking a Timelapse Photo with 5s interval then you'll see a vertical position jitter in 8% of the images. I wonder, ...